From: Bale, Dan
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 1:33 PM
Subject: RE: fireproof backups

Excellent questions.  Supposedly the data cable and the power cable are "double sealed" (whatever the heck that means!)

The proposed vault solution is nebulous at best.  The 350 Degree/2 Hour rating given for this vault is typically the standard for paper to survive a fire.  I asked the vendor how this would protect magnetic media that cannot survive sustained temperatures of over 120 degrees or so.  His response was that he believed that was the rating outside of the safe!  I'll tell ya, this guy scares me!  Even without having to consider surviving a fire, how hot do you think a sealed fireproof vault would get after one week of being powered on constantly and operating backups for 14 - 20 hours before being opened up again the following week to replace the tapes?  He replies "Well, there's a fan in the tape unit."

He is taking about 20 seconds in between the time I ask a question and he answers it.  (Learning as you go?)  He keeps having to go back to the company that actually builds these things to answer my questions.  He uses an AOL.COM address for his business email correspondance!

I'm seeing flashing RED danger signs all over the place!

-Dan
Dan Bale says "BAN DALE!"
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company