  • Subject: Re: Merging two libraries
  • From: "Chuck Morehead" <cbmorehead@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 06:49:29 -0500

I've used Aldon's source merge utility (merge your customized source with new vendor source) and was pleased with it.  I know they offer other change management tools, but I have never used them.  I'd start my search with them.

If you are just wanting to move objects from your test library to your production library and save the old objects to a save library, you could create a command / command processor w/o too much work.  I know HBOC Series product comes with this (BMOVOBJ), and didn't the S/38 have an EXTMOVOBJ command that would do this?  Anyway here's the idea:
Command accepts:
  Object Name (specific or generic)
    Object Library
  Object Type
  Object Subtype
  To Library
  Save Library

Command Processor does this:
  Create a list of objects matching the object name, type, & subtype parms.
  Loop through the list and perform the following for each object:
     Check to see if the object exists in the "To Library"
        If it does, move it from the "To Library" to the "Save Library"
     Move the object to the "To Library"
  End Loop

You can of course improve on this simple outline.  E.g. what if the object already exists in the Save Library?

Hope this helps.
Chuck