  • Subject: Re: Strategy for FTP transfers
  • From: "Chuck Morehead" <cbmorehead@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 08:28:45 -0500

Oliver,

I like to set up special libraries and users that are authorized only to
those libraries.  The security for the libs will depend on what you need the
other end to do.  I.e. do you need to get a file and then delete it to
signify that it was successfully retrieved?

Someone else may have a better solution for exception handling, but what I
have always done is to have the FTP script output to a file and then run a
program to process this log file and take whatever action is necessary.  I
am not aware of a method for putting exception handling into an FTP script.
This means that if you need an FTP script to perform two sets of steps where
the second is dependent on completion of the first, you will have to have
two scripts and run a program in between them to check for success or
failure.  This method will also work for handling when a system or network
is down (if unable to connect then wait a while and try again).

As to which system initiates the transfer, it depends on your process.  E.g.
if system A runs a nightly process that generates a file then generally I
have it initiate the transfer.

If you need example scripts you can email me off-list and I'll be happy to
provide them.  (Unless others are interested as well, then I'll post them
here.)

Chuck