  • Subject: Re: Working with multiple languages from AS/400?
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 14:25:54 EDT

You have your work cut out for you.
It may be that the requirement cannot be met.

The problem is that the state of art of language translation is not up to the
speed of e-commerce.  You can run your text through something that will
convert words from the human language equivalents to those in some other
language, but the result will appear barely functionally literate if even
that.  Then you give this to a human translater who is familiar with both
languages to clean it up so it is business like, and you may also need
someone familiar with the business & legalities of the contracts between the
trading partners & make sure such requirements are also clearly communicated,
and this has to be done across the spectrum of funds transfers, RMA,
engineering drawings, engineering changes, changes in purchase orders, a huge
gamut of business activities.

We do have some multi-national business, but as much as possible we have
externalized the multi-lingual aspects.  For example, all funds transfers are
through our bank.  The money arrives from the customers in whatever currency
& immediately goes into our money management fund, then the e-paperwork
arrives from the bank & we apply the e-money to our ERP receivables.

I do not know JDE & I assume you are on the JDE internet discussion groups &
EDI discussion groups.  I am on BPCS which comes with a multi-lingual
capability, but it is expensive.  Basically you designate the language of the
various people who are your users, and all the reports & screens & help text
& etc, is expressed in that person language.  There was recent discussion of
this on BPCS_L in which some expressed the view that the quality was dismal,
since Spanish for example was not Mexican South American version & French was
not Quebec version.

So if you had this capability in JDE, you might have your accounting
department sign on as an English user & do all the non-foreign invoicing &
billing, then sign on as a Korean user & do the work that generates paperwork
to be sent to Korean trading partners, then sign on as a Chinese user & you
get the picture.

You need to setup your customer & vendor #s so it is easy to do range
selection for the language the stuff needs to be done in.

> From: andyleisk@hotmail.com (Andy Leisk)
>
>  I have a requirement to begin working with trading partners
> in Asia who will
>  be sending EDI documents in their language, Japanese, Chineese, Korean,
>  etc., and I need to receive these and place them onto our AS/400 into a
JDE