Nathan,

> True.  But you do get a system that can host a complex database, and
provide
> high performance for all the TCP/IP and Host servers, and enables you to
> develop and/or deploy a complex mix of Web applications, and requires less
> systems management.  I'm just saying that it's a step in the right
> direction.  The next step is partly up to people like me - to provide
> applications to help you manage your business at a price that makes sense.

The only true advantage that I see here is the simpler systems management.
Even that is being continuously eroded with the gradual move towards
PASE/QShell.

*nix systems have defined high performance measures for the IP stack and TCP
servers, and they run the same complex mix of them.

With respect to the database, do you not consider DB2/Universal to be a
complex database?

Nathan, I'm not picking on you. I admire the fact that you're trying to do
what you feel is best for your clients, and it wouldn't surprise me at all
to learn that your framework was indeed better than most of the
alternatives.  It's just a crying shame that the biggest impediment to your
success is the very company that you're so loyal to.

> You've successfully pointed out a few iSeries handicaps, John.  But do you
> see any bright spots in iSeries future?  What is iSeries correctly
> positioned for in the market?

Now that's a loaded question! However, I'm stuck at the office all weekend,
basically twiddling my thumbs while everyone else counts inventory, so I'll
bite. :)

I prefer to consider the "iSeries" as a combination of great software
architecture, and a robust, easy to use operating system. I never really
understood why people insist on defining an AS/400 by the hardware. There is
nothing really distinct about the hardware itself. What few differences do
remain will disappear entirely when IBM completes the transition to it's
Universal Server (let's call it uSeries for now).

In my opinion, many parts of the architecture will live on in the uSeries. T
IMI/SLIC will be there, though we may not refer to them using the same
terminology. OS/400 itself will become decreasingly important in the coming
years. We see evidence of this already with all of the activity in PASE.
Moreover, there hasn't been a significant native software package announced
in years. All we see today are utilities, "revitalization" technologies, and
the occasional (usually failed) ports.

PASE, or some form of this emulated nix environment, will become more
capable and important in the new server. Why? Because that's where all of
the open-source activity is. All the TCP servers will be based upon the
open-source code base. Apache is already on the box, DNS in PASE is now
available, and you can bet that SendMail is around the corner. Sitting atop
this foundation will be the new cash cow - middleware.

OS/400 will run in an LPAR on uServer to provide support for "legacy"
applications, and to milk the installed base for all it's worth. If the
market continues to provide ample profits for IBM's trouble, then they will
continue to enhance the OS. It's important to note that at this point,
OS/400 is really becoming more of a shell than an operating system. Much of
the O/S technology will have been moved into the base server and maintained
as part of the uSeries runtime.

Future enhancements would likely focus on improving the interaction between
the OS/400 interface and the PASE foundation, rather than adding any
revolutionary technologies on the OS/400 side itself.

The real question, is what does all this bode for our careers as OS/400
professionals? Obviously, there will still be work for some years to come.
However, demand *will* fall off on a gradual basis, as is common for a
mature market. Again, we only need to look around with our eyes open to see
that this has already begun. With the possible exception of a few hot spots
across the continent, demand for RPG programmers has declined over the past
decade.

IBM BP's will either evolve, or perish. Those most at danger are the ones
who've stuck their head's in the sand and avoided keeping pace with the
changing technology. It takes time to retrain your staff and convert your
applications to compete in a new market. Those that leave it to the last
minute, do so at their own peril. Competing against other AS/400 BP's is one
thing; taking on the sharks in the *nix or Win32 markets is another game
entirely.

In the end, maybe I've missed the mark on a few details, or maybe all of it
will prove to be wrong. I don't know for sure; I'm an IT guy - not a fortune
teller. What's important is that you look around with your eyes open, be
objective about what you see, and draw your own conclusions. The AS/400 is a
computer - nothing more. Stop thinking of yourself as an AS/400
Professional, and start thinking of yourself as an IT Professional. Don't
let unbridled passion for a machine cloud your judgement to the point that
it impedes your ability to earn an income.

John Taylor
Canada