  • Subject: Re: NT vs AS/400
  • From: "Steve Richter" <srichter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 16:52:48 -0400

John,

>This is one of the main reasons that we run separate NT servers instead of
>the integrated card - the disk is just too expensive. It's also the reason
>that our webserving isn't done on the iSeries. When I need to add 18GB of
>disk to an NT server, I pick up the phone and just do it. The same amount
of
>DASD on iSeries would require a budget meeting.

I agree. We just decided to use nt as the central image file server bc of
disk price, cpu load and also bc we needed to copy the image files to cd
rom.

>Why? This platform makes *profit* hand over fist.

We need to see the numbers. My guess is that as less 6 figure systems are
sold, they are making less money.

>> suggestion: release all the hardware specs and os source code for older
>> model as400s, the ones that you cant give away on ebay. maybe in a few
>years
>> time a whole new market for low cost, innovative as400 offshoots could
>come
>> to be. One that ibm can compete in and make money in just as others
could.

>Bad! Bad! Bad idea!  Even MS has acknowledged the importance of a single
>vendor hardware solution for optimal reliability. Their Advanced Enterprise
>server product can only be obtained as part of a certified
hardware/software
>solution.
>
>The iSeries would not be nearly as reliable if you had 3rd party hardwire
>and drivers.

No, good idea!!  If my suggestion was adopted, you would have a stable,
latest feature, pricey iseries and a wild west environment running enhanced
and low price older models.  Customers could chose the one that was best for
them.

Is linux an unstable platform?

regards,
steve richter