  • Subject: RE: API -> Commands
  • From: "Jim W" <jimw2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 15:43:57 -0500

One reason is to allow the use of commands to construct custom interfaces
without having to write entire programs.  We have a software product that
has about 150 CL commands that can be used to create custom communication
interfaces between the 400 and "some other box" (ASCII).  Our clients can
arrange the commands fairly easily in a CL program without having to know
anything about the programs that are working behind the scenes.  Some of
those programs are RPG, some CLP, ASM and C, but all they see are the
commands and CL.  For this type of application you have many different
functions and many programs to accomplish them.  You have to have something
to control the whole process, and on the 400 that's CL.

Jim Whalen
DCS Software and Services

From: Scott Klement

As I recall from this article, the CL is actually calling an RPG program
to do these functions.

Which makes me wonder...   why not just write the program in RPG to begin
with?  CL isn't any easier to code, it's certainly not as powerful, etc.