  • Subject: RE: Websphere: a resource hog?
  • From: "Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:10:30 -0500

Nathan, I'm sure you remember that I've always said that the proper design,
giving both UI flexibility and serving performance, was servlet/JSP using a
message-based client/server connection to an RPG server.

Also, I'm kicking out a bit of log myself, and running at under 85% CPU
utilization.  No matter, the fact that we're talking subsecond response time
(in my case, 100 milliseconds for 8KB of HTML generated from 4500 bytes of
host data on the lowest end model 270) is proof that the servlet
architecture is, while perhaps not as efficient as an entirely RPG approach,
plenty fast enough when designed properly, plus it has the added benefit
that the UI portion is entirely platform independent.

I guess the moral of the story is that anybody who is getting less than
subsecond response time on their web pages, regardless of the architecture,
should be looking at the application, not the web server, for the
bottleneck.

Joe