We have a 9404 - 400 (feature #2133) that we need to add more DASD to.  It
currently has 8 mirrored 4GB drives (type 6607) for an effective 16GB of disk
space.  The AS/400 System Handbook says that the maximum amount of DASD we can
put on this box is 50.3GB.  Questions:

Is the maximum counting only the "usable" mirrored DASD or the total DASD
regardless of mirroring?  In other words, if I mirror the maximum amount of
DASD on this box, will I be able to put 100GB on to get an effective 50GB of
usable DASD?  Or is 50GB the total maximum, limiting a mirrored system to 25GB
in this case?

A concern was raised that whatever additional DASD we buy today for this old
box might not be migratable to any new iSeries system we acquire in the
future.  Is that a real concern?  I haven't heard anything regarding this
issue.  It may well be that we'll replace this box sometime this year, and it
would be a consideration whether or not the DASD purchase will be "lost" when
we upgrade.

TIA.

- Dan
Dan Bale says "BAN DALE!"