  • Subject: Re: Tape drive trouble
  • From: Neil Palmer <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 01:57:07 -0400

John,

Two things.  The MLR1-13GB tapes and the MLR1-26GB tapes are the same
thing.  Imation has just relabelled their QIC  products and now use the
compressed capacity in their product name instead of the uncompressed
capacity.
The 6385 QIC drive can also use the 16/32GB tapes - now referred to as
MLR1-32GB.

The problems are with the 6385 drives, not the tapes.  We've had a few
replaced, and so have several of our customers.  We have also had
customers who had their 6385 drive replaced, only to find the replacement
was bad and had to be replaced again.
That's why IBM withdrew them from marketing in May 2000, and as of V5R2
they will not even be supported (you must replace 6385's before upgrading
to V5R2).

Neil Palmer      DPS Data Processing Services Canada Ltd.
50 Acadia Avenue, Ste.102                   AS/400~~~~~
Markham, Ontario, Canada.   ____________          ___  ~
Phone:(905) 474-4890 x303   |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
Fax:  (905) 474-4898         oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
mailto:NeilP@DPSlink.com  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.DPSlink.com     iSeries 400  The Ultimate Business Server

"John Taylor" <john.taylor@telusplanet.net>
Sent by: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com