  • Subject: SAVE 21 -CHGMSGQ QSYSOPR auth.
  • From: D.BALE@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:02:00 -0400

Had a situation pop up where our system operator at one of our branches
attempted to do the quarterly "SAVE 21", which he has done successfully in the
past, but this time it failed at the point where it does the
   CHGMSGQ MSGQ(QSYSOPR) DLVRY(*BREAK) SEV(99)

During my initial attempt to run SAVE 21 to test his problem, I was stopped
right at the menu option because I did not have the two special authorities
required to run the command (forget what they are right now).  The system
operator *did* have these two authorities and, so, he got past the menu and
started the SAVE 21 processing.

It hit me as strange that the application choked on the CHGMSGQ even though he
had the two required special authorities.  I dug a little deeper and
discovered that our security officer had removed the 'update' & 'delete' Read
authorities for *PUBLIC from the QSYSOPR message queue object.  My solution
was to add the system operator's user ID to the authority list with *CHAN GE
authority.

Next time he does a SAVE 21, he'll get past the point where he was stopped
before.  But what other objects have had their authorities changed?  Maybe
ENDSBS?  Maybe other functions?

Is this the scenario where I need to consider using adopted authority?  In
essence, let anyone who has access to a specific "Save Everything" menu
option, regardless of their special authorities, be able to run that option
which, in turn, effectively performs a SAVE 21 without running into *any*
authority problems?  And in this way, could I then remove the system
operator's *CHANGE authority from the QSYSOPR message queue (and move him back
into the *PUBLIC group), so that he cannot issue CHGMSGQ QSYSOPR the from the
command line?

So much to learn.

- Dan
Dan Bale says "Ban Dale!"