   NS1SO.CG.SHAWCABLE.NET 24.64.63.195

   ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE

   Record last updated on 26-Feb-2001.
   Database last updated on 21-Apr-2001 23:02:21 EDT.

The ARIN Registration Services Host contains ONLY Internet
Network Information: Networks, ASN's, and related POC's.
Please use the whois server at rs.internic.net for DOMAIN related
Information and whois.nic.mil for NIPRNET Information.

hth,
Eric DeLong

-----Original Message-----
From: Bonnie Williams [mailto:WilliamB@ccsd15.k12.il.us]
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2001 3:32 PM
To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
Subject: Mystery jobs

Every now and then, I see many job logs (sometimes as many as 800) on our
system that are all identical and have a date/time stamp within a few
minutes time.  I am trying to find out what kind of jobs these are and who
is submitting them.

I am copying one of the job logs below.  Does anyone know what kind of job
this user is trying to run?  (I can see that the job is trying to call the
LPD.)  Are they really trying to submit 800 different jobs?  Or is this
something coming from the internet and I am getting a job log for each line
of a print job that is trying to print?

Also, I don't have a clue who belongs to the IP address listed in the job
logs. The last time (a couple of weeks ago) that I saw these job logs, the
IP address was different. Is there any way to tell who this is?

We are at V4R4 and using Websphere Advanced Edition 3.02.

Job name . . . . . . . . . . :   QTLPD00057      User  . . . . . . :   QTCP
Number . . . . . . . . . . . :   025150
  Job description  . . . . . . :   QTMPLPD         Library . . . . . :
QTCP
MSGID      TYPE                    SEV   DATE       TIME       FROM PGM
LIBRARY     INST     TO PGM       LIBRARY      INST
CPF1124    Information             00    04/20/01   16:07:36   QWTPIIPP
QSYS        05E5     *EXT                      *N
                                     Message . . . . :   Job
025150/QTCP/QTLPD00057 started on 04/20/01 at 16:07:36
                                       in subsystem QSYSWRK in QSYS. Job
entered system on 04/20/01 at 16:07:36.
CPI1125    Information             00    04/20/01   16:07:36   QWTPIIPP
QSYS        029F     *EXT                      *N
                                     Message . . . . :   Job
025150/QTCP/QTLPD00057 submitted.
                                     Cause . . . . . :   Job
025150/QTCP/QTLPD00057 submitted to job queue
                                       QSYSNOMAX in QSYS from job
025148/QTCP/QTLPD00056. Job
                                       025150/QTCP/QTLPD00057 was started
using the Submit Job (SBMJOB) command
                                       with the following job attributes:
JOBPTY(5) OUTPTY(5) PRTTXT()
                                       RTGDTA(LPDSERVE) SYSLIBL(QGPL
QSYS       QSYS2      QHLPSYS
                                       QUSRSYS) CURLIB(QTCP) INLLIBL() LOG(4
00 *SECLVL) LOGCLPGM(*NO)
                                       INQMSGRPY(*RQD) OUTQ(/*DEV)
PRTDEV(PRT01) HOLD(*NO) DATE(*SYSVAL)
                                       SWS(00000000) MSGQ(QUSRSYS/QTCP)
CCSID(65535) SRTSEQ(*N/*HEX) LANGID(ENU)
                                       CNTRYID(US) ALWMLTTHD(*NO).
CPC1221    Completion              00    04/20/01   16:07:38   QWTCCSBJ
QSYS        0162     QTMPJOBS     QTCP         *STMT
                                     To module . . . . . . . . . :
QTMPLPDS
                                     To procedure  . . . . . . . :
DoCLCommand
                                     Statement . . . . . . . . . :   167
                                     Message . . . . :   Job
025152/QTCP/QTLPD00058 submitted to job queue
                                       QSYSNOMAX in library QSYS.
TCP3711    Information             40    04/20/01   16:07:38   QTMPLPDC
QTCP        *STMT    QTMPLPDC     QTCP         *STMT
                                     From module . . . . . . . . :
QTMPLPDS
                                     From procedure  . . . . . . :
SendProgramMsg
                                     Statement . . . . . . . . . :   1414
                                     To module . . . . . . . . . :
QTMPLPDS
                                     To procedure  . . . . . . . :
SendProgramMsg
                                     Statement . . . . . . . . . :   1414
                                     Message . . . . :   Unsupported TCP/IP
LPD server function requested.
                                     Cause . . . . . :   The TCP/IP line
printer daemon (LPD) server job received a
                                       request for an unsupported function
from remote system
                                       24.78.39.171                   .  The
command received was X'42', the
                                       sub-command was X'00'. The request
was ignored. Recovery  . . . :   The
                                       AS/400 LPD only supports the Receive
a Printer Job (X'02') command and its
                                       sub-commands. Command codes:
Sub-Command codes:
                                       -------------------------------
------------------------------------ X'01'
                                       - Print any Waiting Jobs   X'01' -
Abort Job X'02' - Receive a Printer Job
                                        X'02' - Receive Control File X'03' -
Send Queue State Short   X'03' -
                                       Receive Data File X'04' - Send Queue
State Long    X'04' - Receive Control
                                       File First X'05' - Remove Jobs
X'05' - Receive Data File
                                       Unspecified Length Technical
description . . . . . . . . :   See the Request
                                       For Comments 1179 (RFC1179) issued by
the Internet Network Printer Working
                                       Group, for details on all possible
commands and options.
CPC2191    Completion              00    04/20/01   16:07:38   QLIDLOBJ
QSYS        040E     QLICLLIB     QSYS         02A4
                                     Message . . . . :   Object LPDMSGS in
QTEMP type *USRSPC deleted.
CPF1164    Completion              00    04/20/01   16:07:38   QWTMCEOJ
QSYS        00AA     *EXT                      *N
                                     Message . . . . :   Job
025150/QTCP/QTLPD00057 ended on 04/20/01 at 16:07:38;
                                       1 seconds used; end code 0 .
                                     Cause . . . . . :   Job
025150/QTCP/QTLPD00057 completed on 04/20/01 at
                                       16:07:38 after it used 1 seconds
processing unit time.  The job had ending
                                       code 0. The job ended after 1 routing
steps with a secondary ending code of
                                       0.  The job ending codes and their
meanings are as follows:  0 - The job
                                       completed normally. 10 - The job
completed normally during controlled ending
 5769SS1 V4R4M0 990521                           Job Log
S1055D4M 04/20/01 16:07:38          Page    2
  Job name . . . . . . . . . . :   QTLPD00057      User  . . . . . . :
QTCP         Number . . . . . . . . . . . :   025150
  Job description  . . . . . . :   QTMPLPD         Library . . . . . :
QTCP
MSGID      TYPE                    SEV   DATE       TIME       FROM PGM
LIBRARY     INST     TO PGM       LIBRARY      INST
                                       or controlled subsystem ending. 20 -
The job exceeded end severity (ENDSEV
                                       job attribute). 30 - The job ended
abnormally. 40 - The job ended before
                                       becoming active. 50 - The job ended
while the job was active. 60 - The
                                       subsystem ended abnormally while the
job was active. 70 - The system ended
                                       abnormally while the job was active.
80 - The job ended (ENDJOBABN command).
                                       90 - The job was forced to end after
the time limit ended (ENDJOBABN
                                       command). Recovery  . . . :   For
more information, see the Work Management
                                       book, SC41-5306.

david@midrange.com