We're looking for a few good volunteers!

Why -- We want to investigate the action of IBM's interactive performance
governor for the "server" models of the iSeries - AS/400.  These are the
Sxx, 7xx, 8xx, 270, 250, 170 and 150 models.

How -- We have written a simple RPGLE program to measure CPU usage and
interactive CPU usage several times per minute and record them in a
database file.  It takes very little CPU time to run this program (less
than 0.01% of our model 270 with a batch CPW of 370).  It samples usage
every 30 seconds (on even days) or 10 seconds (odd days).  The records are
61 bytes long (515KB on odd days, 172KB on even days of 24 hours -- a total
of 2.4MB for a 168-hour week).  The data captured is only performance
related.  No company data is captured, except for system specific
information (e.g.: system values QSRLNBR, QMODEL, QPRCFEAT).

Who -- We need several dozen volunteers with V4R5 (or later in the event
that IBM ever chooses to replace this release with a subsequent release)
systems to run this program for 5 to 7 days each in a "real" environment
and then send the data file to us for analysis.  The file is
externally-described and we will supply you with all the source code (you
will need to be able to compile an RPGLE program).  We are looking for
volunteers to help.  We need a disparity of different system types and
performance features, so if we don't get back to you, it's that we are
getting plenty of your type of system/feature code.

What -- Is the benefit to you?  You will have helped us to figure out how
IBM makes this function run, which is not well documented (to put it
mildly).  You can also use this program (or your own modification of it) to
monitor your own machine's workload with a LOT less overhead than IBM's
performance monitor (albeit with far less detail).

What next -- Please send me a note including your system values QMODEL and
QPRCFEAT.  We need you to agree to compile, run the program and return the
results before April 30.  We will provide the code on an "as is" basis.
The results can be returned over the Internet to Lotus Domino on our model
270, or on any media you have available.  (If you intend to return magnetic
media, please call or send a note to make sure that we can read your media
type.)

In advance, many thanks for your cooperation.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390