  • Subject: Re: Reverse Performance Review
  • From: D.BALE@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 17:40:00 -0400

Al,

I will respond to the bulk of your post privately, but publicly:

I take having a PC so much for granted that I forgot about the IBM
documentation issue, that being that, for all practical purposes, it's no
longer available on paper, but it *is* available on the Softcopy CD-ROM
(and/or InfoCenter CD-ROM, depending on your OS version).  This requires a
most minimal Windows PC these days, one that would likely cost $300 - $400.  I
couldn't imagine doing my job without the proper documentation.  Given your
self-assessment of needing to acquire more AS/400 skills, it is my opinion
that you're choking yourself career-wise trying to work without proper
documentation at your desk.  IMO, no manager in their RIGHT mind can justify
belt-tightening as a valid excuse for not giving you a minimal-cost tool as
I've described.  $400 to give you just the documentation to do your job would
easily pay for itself in the first month by increased efficiencies in your
job.  So, what now, your access to IBM docs are limited to what you have at
home?  I just cannot fathom that!  It is truly mind-boggling!  I wonder how
you can get anything done!

I cringe at the mere suggestion of it, but do you have the softcopy (?) loaded
on the AS/400 that you can access via InfoSeeker (errrr, excuse me, I have to
go v.....  TOO LATE!)

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company