  • Subject: RE: What counts as technically slick?
  • From: Jim Damato <jdamato@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 12:39:03 -0500

I agree.  Maybe I should start a thread about "What passes for technically
slick?"

These folks designed a system that was really cool, but they didn't
understand the full technical and administrative impact of their design.
They also were in a great hurry to be the first to try something new.  What
they came up with was an early AS/400 and RPG version of an SQL based
system.  If someone had known how to tune the database for OPNQRYF, and size
the hardware for it they might have actually been successful.  The system
design was far and away beyond what most of us were writing, but it either
wasn't ready or wasn't finished.  Proper technical management might have
harnessed their talents for the forces of good instead of evil (or at least
chaos).

A couple years ago I attended a presentation of Lawson's first generation of
web-enablement (then on Domino) at CUE.  One of our Directors kept trying to
ask (in all seriousness) why we would want to implement it.  Because the
development team was running the presentation the folks at the front of the
room repeatedly gave different answers that translated back to "because it's
really neat."  It was quite funny to watch as one of the Lawson Client
Manager realized what was happening and bolted out of the room in search of
someone from Lawson who could explain the business needs served by their
slick new technology.