  • Subject: RE: What counts as technically slick?
  • From: Scott Mildenberger <Smildenber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 10:21:15 -0600

Buck,

No, subprocedures are a direction that everyone should be moving towards.
But I don't know how to get this point across to those who don't want to
move forward.  Subprocedures are a big step for those that have been
immersed in RPG for years, I think programmers that have experience with
other environments/languages embrace them much quicker.  It is so hard to
get people to grasp the tremendous advantages to reusablity and productivity
that can be gained by subprocedures and especially by packaging them into
service programs.  Yea, others will say they can do this in RPG III and they
are right but it is so much easier in RPG IV and ILE.  Until someone
understands both worlds well they cannot do a comparison.  I have seen other
programmers finally see the light by getting them to start using the service
programs that I have created but it takes a lot of prodding.  It requires
someone in a shop to keep pushing the envelope and to keep encouraging
others to follow along, usually on their own initiative.  Unfortunately, it
seems like many shops don't have that person and too many people are too
comfortable where they are and don't want to venture outside that comfort
zone.  Some times I wish I could be in charge for a day and shake things up
a little bit.

I will keep pushing and prodding to do things better but some days it can be
very frustating and get in the 'Why bother' mode.  But, I do know my
productivity is getting better all the time by using these techniques so the
effort is worth it.

Scott Mildenberger