  • Subject: RE: What About Price vs. Performance?
  • From: "Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 07:27:03 -0500

I'm not going to waste a lot of time on this, as it's all but pointless.  I
did read your post.  The parts where you say Unix can outperform the AS/400
as a LAN server are correct, the points where you say you can write business
applications on it are not.  FreeBSD has no integrated database, uses crap
like Oracle, and so will never work as a business logic server.

That's all I want to say.  Read whatever you want into it.  FreeBSD can
never support a real enterprise-level business application and an AS/400 can
(and no, Yahoo is not a real business application, it's a web application -
different animal).  You like FreeBSD?  Great.  Use it.  Just don't compare
it to OS/400.  They're different beasts.

Joe