  • Subject: Re: menu-screen compile, object in use
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:46:07 EDT

GO CMDLCK ... gets you to menu of all commands with respect to system LOCKS
in fact if you know the 400 abbreviation system you can do this for any list.

There is a WRK or DSP I not remember which ... get into it for the object
that is in use & do the F5 or whatever to refresh the screen story.

What you are seeing is EVERYONE who is using that object & how they are using
it.  I usually use this to see who all is updating some file when there is a
conflict for some record & you can drill down to see which records being
updated, in case someone walked away from display station in middle of
update, or some JOBQ job is hung.

Generally you do not want to be replacing software while people using it.
In our case we replace the DDS object, then we replace the RPG that calls the
DDS, to avoid version conflicts, and we need people out of this software
while the pieces are being replaced.
We also have a TEST version & a LIVE version.
No one is in TEST when that is being replaced.
We tinker with it until perfect, then pretty fast replace LIVE with tested.

If your security permits you to do WRKACTJOB then pick someone's job & FIVE
view information about it, then option 11 to see the stack of objects the
person needs, you can find that depending on how the software is written,
some stuff that we think of being a MENU is really a program & one program
calls another program but they are all still in the user stack.

I find STRSDA very useful when looking at screen objects without actually
running the program & testing that they setup right, but I more comfortable
working with the actual DDS code through WRKMBRPDM vs. QDDSSRC file which is
like SEU/36.

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838