  • Subject: Re: show message on line 24
  • From: D.BALE@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 16:15:00 -0500

You finished making the point I failed to make in my orignal post - if I've
got to create my own message file and message descriptions to get the
second-level text, then I might as well code the text in the message
descriptions!

Usually, this catch-22 arises when I've written a simple utility, just one or
two messages that could possibly be sent.  You use the CPF9898, test it,
somebody else asks for it, returns to you and says, "what does this message
mean?", you go, "hmmm, really needs more than the 75 characters on the message
line, should use second-level text; oh cr*p!  Can't use CPF9898, so create a
new message ID?  Can't (won't) create one in QCPFMSG, so create a new message
file?  Fergetaboutit, just document the thing in a README and in the source
code."

I just know someone's gonna ask, well why not just create the message file?
(Hey, Leif, why didn't you just create a message file?)  Maybe I'm just lazy,
but I just think it's overkill to create a message file for a single-app
utility.  I _do_ define message files for entire "application systems" that
I've designed and written in the past.  But for the simple CL utility program?
 Eh...

Plus, what's easier to understand, snippet A or snippet B?:

A:   MONMSG  CPF3777 EXEC(SNDPGMMSG MSGID(USR1001) MSGF(USRMSGF))
B:   MONMSG  CPF3777 EXEC(SNDPGMMSG MSGID(CPF9897) MSGF(QCPFMSG)
              MSGDTA('One or more libraries were not completely saved.')

I vote for B.

<sigh>

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400