  • Subject: Re: Web apps on the AS/400
  • From: Pete Hall <pbhall@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 22:22:47 -0600

At 15:11 03/20/2001, James Kilgore wrote:
>XML -IS NOT- a documented standard.  Or maybe I should say that it -is-
>documented, but it is not yet a -standard-.  It is a work in process
>that is still under heavy debate.

Au contraire. XML is absolutely a standard. It is explicitly documented by
W3C, and the standards (they're called recommendations, but they're
standards nevertheless) are actually being respected and followed as
quickly as possible by Microsoft, Sun, IBM, and Netscape to name a few. The
documents are at http://www.w3.org/XML/. The difficulty is not with the
standard, but rather with the schema that are applied to specific
applications. These are not standard, but they are moving in that
direction. Biztalk (www.biztalk.org) for instance is a repository for many
of the current attempts. It would be a lot simpler if somebody could just
publish a schema for whatever and everybody would follow it. Obviously that
will never happen. It would be nice if industry wide standards bodies would
materialize and do the grunt work, but that too seems to be wishful
thinking. I can't even generate enough interest where I work to investigate
the possibility, even though it would be very good for company image and
prestige to be a member of the standards body.

Pete Hall
pbhall@execpc.com
http://www.execpc.com/~pbhall/