  • Subject: RE: Web apps on the AS/400
  • From: Phil Groschwitz <sublime78ska@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 09:19:07 -0800 (PST)

Great discussion going on.  I thought I'd add my
perspective to it.

Isn't possible to do this:

Use net.data to do nothing but call rpg pgms and to
place the result where net.data says to.  All the html
is in the net.data macro, not in any rpg pgms.  The
macro can be maintained by webdevelopers while the
business programs are maintained by rpg programmers.

-- or --

Develop your own tag language to control calling rpg
pgms, again not putting any html in rpg pgms.  The
special tag language and html is maintained by
webdevelopers while the business programs are
maintained by rpg programmers.

-- or --

use JSP's and java to do the same thing, again not
putting any html in the java classes (which is what
you had to do not too long ago before jsp's.)  The
jsp's are maintained by webdevelopers while the
business programs are maintained by java developers.

--

I agree that hardcoding html (in any language) is not
a good thing.

But I disagree that java/jsp's is the **absolute**
best solution for **all** business problems.  Why?
ROI.  The existing, installed as/400's are in many
cases incapable of running a java solution.  Many
companies would lose money on upgrading now.  They
have to wait.  (Or use a different server but you may
never get that business back)

Here's a simplistic analogy that I think demonstrates
my point:

I have a 2 year old car.  I now have a need to put a
baby in the car so I need a car seat.  While it is
true that I could buy a new car that comes with an
integrated car seat, I can't buy a new car now because
I'm still paying for the one I have.  I can't wait
another three years for my car to be paid for.  So
I'll just buy a car seat that I can use in my existing
car.  Problem solved.  Best solution when all the
factors are considered.  Would not have been the best
solution if I had no car, or if the car was deficient
in another way.  Maybe I need room for five but the
car only has four seats.  You get the idea, I hope.

Phil