  • Subject: RE: Working with DataArea in COBOL
  • From: "Mark Villa" <markvilla@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:43:40 -0500

>>> I need to pass some parameters in/out to/from it from my SNAP-IX server
and
>>>when I check
>>> the AS/400 log,I find that the cobol program was called but get an error
>>>saying
>>> "missing parameters".I think the problem is mainly related to the way
the
>>>cobol program
>>> is dealing with the DataArea.

I think it is likely that a control language program calls the cobol now
since there are parameters. The COBOL is for sure needing parameters on the
call. If the cobol is using the local data area, it should be accepting that
info internally in the program, and not a parameter, and the local data
area, or any data area, is set up prior to the call to cobol. If it is not a
local data area, then you typically read that data area from disk into a
runtime variable then call cobol using the retrieved data as parameter(s).
This all reinforces the need for a controlling program, the control language
program that sets up the run for the cobol. The AS/400 command >> DSPPGM
YOURCOBOL will show you the number of parameters. It sounds like you need to
encapsulate the cobol program in a control language program that will handle
your new environment. For instance, lets call it control1.

SNAP calls program control1, it loads and asks:
If current user=SNAP then do
retrieve data area into parameter1, and so on
call cobol1 using parameters
enddo
else do
call cobol1 the old way
endo
endif
end program.

In summary:
1) Parms are needed for the cobol call. If you don't know them on SNAP then
you have to find them on the AS/400.
2) How you set up your SNAP calls is new and likely different than any
AS/400 person expected at design time.
Also, if you run into problems with decimal exceptions, try passing your
parameter as a hex value in the format of
CALL MYPGM X'ff' X'f0' X'f2'

Hope this sheds some light.
markvilla@knology.net