  • Subject: Performance problem
  • From: afvaiv <afvaiv@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 02:14:16 +0100

Hi everybody,
customer has performance problems with his model 720, proc.#2062,
running V4R4. Last Cumulative and DataBase group PTFs applied.
They have quite a high load, mainly in the evening, when many of their
accountants run (simultaneously and interactive...) a high load
application. Well, the load is, more or less, the same every evening.
AS/400 keeps up fairly well everyday... except some few evenings... when
it gets down to its knees...
We decided to run PerformanceTools, and so they would start collecting
data with TRACE(*ALL) when the problem comes up.
I've taken a look a the various performance reports, and I'd like to put
forward some questions. Data with trace was gathered for a 20 min. time
frame (four 5 min intervals) during the problem situation.

- Disk activity, pools paging and transitions, etc look all right:
- Seize and lock contentions have low values (not to cause high
influence for the timeframe under study)

- CFINT01 shows as "eating up" to a rough average of 38.8% of CPU.
Question-1:  I thought CFINT01 was discontinued by now, or may be was it
in V4R5? Anyway, could it happen that CFINT01 would "come in place" just
some few evenings (but not all of them) even though the overall load is
similar for all evenings?

- The only thing I found "strange" so far has to do with "exceptions".
The Components Report shows most of the jobs as having an
"ArithmeticOverflow" count of  0 (I guess "normal"...), but some jobs
have a very high value, around the 20,000 to 40,000 figure. The final
"resume" of exceptions show a total value (for the 20 min. time window)
of
     - Size exceptions      : over 291,000
     - Decimal Overflow  : over 292,000
Question-2: Perf.Tools documentation shows samples with both values to 0
(I guess normal).
                     - Are both figures, over 290,000 , for the whole 20
min interval "dramatic"?
                     - What does "size exceptions" stand for? What's its
real meaning?
                     - Could the DecimalOverflow have someting to do
with "ignore decimal data error"?
                       (the old aplication was S/36 type, but nowadays
I'm told the whole application has been
                       re-writen in COBOL, and DB files converted, so I
guess there should not be any "decimal data
errors"... at least in such a high number! )
                     - if that's not the case, what's the meaning of
Decimal Overflow exceptions and what could be the reason for this
annormal high value?

TIA
--
Antonio Fernandez-Vicenti