  • Subject: Re: Grumble...
  • From: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 23:55:37 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Steve wrote:

> >Like being used by a large community of people, not the handful of people
> >running AS/400's on the web.   Being tested and true.
>
> Sorry? The 400 webserver is bombproof. And there are a a number of
> servers running on it. More than a handful. Tested and true? more so
> than the crock of rubbish that is IIS, anyway.

Naturally, I'd never even consider running IIS.   I'm comparing to Unix,
not NT.

Do you have any evidence to back up your claim that the 400 web server
is bombproof?    Is this "bombproof" based on the fact that you can't
find any problems in your particular scenario?

> >Like having tons of software available for it, not just a handful written
> >by IBM.
>
> How much software do you need for a webserver? Anything for Apache will
> run on it, and anything in Java - what more do you want?

I want the thousands of applications available for Unix systems.  Or if
I'm going to pay more for an AS/400, I want it to be able to DO MORE.

> >Like not requiring a (USD) $30,000+ machine to run it.
>
> What's the entry-level cost for a server only model? About USD 5000,
> isn't it? And that's with everything, software, the works. We just
> costed it all up and bought a 270 for USD 30,000 - to run 25 websites.
> We'd need about 30 NT servers to do the same given the complexity and
> reliability we'd need. More like USD 300,000 doing that...

You don't have to try to steer *ME* away from NT.   Try the FREE operating
system used by companies like Yahoo, Google, etc.  http://www.freebsd.org

If you can handle the load on a small AS/400 like a 270, you'll be able
to do it on a modern PC running FreeBSD.

> Yes, under V5R1. It's the version you know and tested, running on
> 64-bit.

That sounds promising.   I may even try it -- if V5R1 doesn't break
support for the other things I need my 400 for.