  • Subject: Re: Grumble...
  • From: Steve <steve@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 23:10:32 +0000

In article <Pine.BSF.4.05.10103050530380.18605-100000@gateway.klements.c
om>, Scott Klement <klemscot@klements.com> writes

>> Something that does what it is not supposed to do is
>> excellent?
>>
>> I would find that disobedient.<g>
>>
>> Like what, for instance?
>
>Like being used by a large community of people, not the handful of people
>running AS/400's on the web.   Being tested and true.

Sorry? The 400 webserver is bombproof. And there are a a number of
servers running on it. More than a handful. Tested and true? more so
than the crock of rubbish that is IIS, anyway.

>Like having tons of software available for it, not just a handful written
>by IBM.

How much software do you need for a webserver? Anything for Apache will
run on it, and anything in Java - what more do you want?

>Like not requiring a (USD) $30,000+ machine to run it.

What's the entry-level cost for a server only model? About USD 5000,
isn't it? And that's with everything, software, the works. We just
costed it all up and bought a 270 for USD 30,000 - to run 25 websites.
We'd need about 30 NT servers to do the same given the complexity and
reliability we'd need. More like USD 300,000 doing that...

>I could go on.
>

>> Is apache an excellent webserver?  Because it now is
>> supported on the as/400.
>>
>> Phil
>>

>Apache on Unix is an excellent webserver.  It may be on AS/400 as
>well, I don't know.   Hard to say since it hasn't been tested
>enough to satisfy me. :)
>
>Does the AS/400 version support all the different apache modules?
>MOD_PHP, MOD_SSL, MOD_SPELING, MOD_REWRITE, and all the others that
>are out there?   Or do they need to be ported individually?

Yes, under V5R1. It's the version you know and tested, running on
64-bit.

--
Steve