Hello to all,

As one who has taught English, did running interpretations frequently as
well, and have done lots of translation work too, and setting up an
English<->Spanish translation service, I'm sure there does *NOT* exist any
reliable translator software anywhere. There is a translation function on
some Web sites, but if you know both languages well you know you get good
translations of most words, maybe, but plenty utter nonsense (say, 10 to 15
percent?).

You get into real danger, especially the way AS/400 program-generated
documents are frequently worded, and even more with the lingo of our trade
and even business variations. That is, the wrong little word here or
there...

I see very real possiblities, but it has a long way to go. From what I've
seen it is not yet ready for "prime-time" computing. In Spanish and likely
other languages it is good to consider variations between countries, too.
There are sharp variations between countries, likely in other languages as
well, in general usage, but resulting in a word *VERY* common in some
countries being a *VERY* taboo word in others.

One note: translation software may help actual translators accelerate their
work, but you'll get no
substitute for a real native or "near-native" literate translator. In fact,
translation software results to me does not count as translation. At the
minimum, after running a translation, get someone to edit, preferably a good
speaker.

- Alan