  • Subject: Re: Is there a answer for this?
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:00:36 -0500

We use newer equipment here that is supposed to be greener.  Basically
draws less power or can sleep.
We try to encourage our people to leave their PC's up 24x7 because of our
ADSM backups and whatnot.  We do encourage them to sign off.
Also, as you, we are a BPCS shop.  Our backup does some processing of the
ZSC file when we do a backup.  For example our Division X has in it's
library list XLIBA, XLIBB, XLIBC.  Send a message to everyone in ZSC who is
active to get out now.  Wait.  Kill all jobs with a lock on any of these
libraries.  Lock numerous objects in each library (I think we even do all).
Back up the libraries.  Remove the locks.  Go on to next division.  With
our screaming tape drive and processor the biggest division only takes
about 4 minutes.  Basically no bogus save-while-active and a 4 minute
downtime gives us no whiners.
We talked about changing the initial program for everyone in ZSC to a 'hold
your horses' screen when running period end or backups.  There was some
concern about restart capabilities.

The people who might have a problem with this situation are those who've
done some improper MONMSG's for display error recovery, as others have
pointed out.  Not been a problem here.  By the way, I like that guys
contribution versus the 'shoot one - teach the others a lesson' mentality.
Although a .44 magnum makes a heck of a data integrity tool.  The tape over
the switch was a good idea - especially if you have IBM 3196's - those
buggers broke switches like crazy.  But a PC - you'd have to stop the 'x'
to close the 5250 session.  As far as checking all sessions on a terminal -
I am guilty.  We ipl'ed our 400 several times one downtime and had IBM on
the phone before we decided we needed to go to the session set to address 0
- DOH!

Rob Berendt

==================
Remember the Cole!

                    MacWheel99@aol.com

                    Sent by:                   To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com

                    owner-midrange-l@mi        cc:

                    drange.com                 Subject:     Re: Is there a
answer for this?

                    02/27/01 02:11 PM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

There are two problems & we have had them for decades.

1. People go home in the evening & they leave their work stations signed on
in the middle of programs.  We need to kick them off to do backup.
Sometimes
they are in middle of some update program.

2. People have multiple sessions.  They get interrupted.  They loose track
of
the fact they have other sessions active.  It is quitting time.  They sign
off the session in front of them.  They do not check status of other
sessions.  They turn off their device.  A variation on this is people
connected via PC with a PC printer emulating 400 printer.  Correct end
procedure is to STOP the printer, then bye the PC.  No one does it.  I see
no
point in trying to train them - I just ignore the 400 error messages.

Now we do have sessions ending abnormally because of a PC problem, but the
vast majority of our abnormal terminations are due to people who cannot
learn
how to properly end their work station when they are done for the day & my
main concern is not the spike in poor performance for the good workers who
are anxious to check their work before they leave, but more in the damage
data bases when a program in middle of updating our files is trashed
because
the work station was powered off in the middle of it.

Our solutions, to try to reduce rate of incidents.

When people ask why their data is messed up, I am sure to include this
scenario in my list of possibilities, which means that some supervisors cut
down on it among their people for about a week.

Friday afternoon about 1 hour before day end there is a scheduled message
all users currently signed on, reminding them that there is no need to
leave
their equipment consuming electricity all weekend & please check all
sessions
to sign-off screen before power off.  This message is periodically
rephrased .

Management seems to be interested in the electricity consumption topic,
particularly after we came in after a 4 day weekend to find half the PCs &
twinax devices in the company powered up.  The question has come up if
there
is some way to remotely pull the plug at day end ... I do not think this is
doable on an individual work station basis, but it might be a reverse
application of a LAP (local area power).  I personally believe that the
power
draw of the system printer is perhaps where we might next kill the power on
weekends.

Several decades ago when this sort of problem started happening on hardware
before the AS/400 & before S/38 or S/36 had been invented, I started
suggesting to the manufacturers of the display stations that some time it
might be nice if they could include a NUMBER OF SESSIONS ACTIVE icon that
is
easy for users to comprehend.  Then we could try to train them that they
need
to take that digit down to zero before powering off their display station.
Such a number would also remind them that there are other sessions other
than
the one currently shown.

I believe that wherever the configuration data is stored would be a
starting
point for making this doable.

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838

MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com