  • Subject: Re: reorg HUGE file
  • From: Evan Harris <spanner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 08:06:57 +1300

Funnily enough right now I have to do the same as Dan on a file with 110
million plus records.

The access path scenario in my experience comes about when programmers
create a new access path to the file that includes and access path that has
already been defined. The programs using the old access path never get
revisited so you still need the new one.

If you rebuild the files correctly you can get the access paths to be
implicitly shared cutting down the disk space used by the logicals and also
the re-build time - can be down to practically depending on exactly what is
shared.

Be aware that there are a few access wrinkles to do with implicitly shared
access paths, I think the data management manual highlights them.
Basically, depending on how you use keys to position once you are using the
implictly shared access paths under some circumstances your
read/positioning logic may behave differently depending on how you
implement it.

I would caution you to show this to the developers (who in my experience
didn't look at it)

Since the system will cause this to happen in the event of a restore
anyway, you have a valid rebuttal for the programmers when they ask you not
to do this - presuming its a problem or just something they don't want to
deal with.

Hope this helps
Evan Harris