  • Subject: Re: Client Access Ports over the Web
  • From: "Jim Franz" <franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:38:25 -0500

from the Client Access FAQs (not easy to find since the recent re-design)
apar II12227 at site
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/clientaccess/caiixe1.htm
this is for CA Express
  SERVERS     DEFAULT PORT         DESCRIPTION
-------------  ------------ ----------------------------------
Port Mapper    449          Port mapper returns the port
                           number for the requested server
-------------  ----------   ----------------------------------
Sign-on        8476 (9476)  Sign-on server is used for every
                           Client Access connection to
                           authenticate users and to change
                           passwords
-------------  ----------   ----------------------------------
Central        8470 (9470)  Central server is used when a
                           Client Access license is required,
                           and also for downloading translation
                           tables.
-------------  ----------   ----------------------------------
Data Queue     8472 (9472)  Data Queue server allows access to
                           the AS/400 data queues, used for
                           passing data between applications.
-------------  ----------   ----------------------------------
Database       8471 (9471)  Database server is used for
                           accessing the AS/400 database
-------------  ----------   ----------------------------------
Remote Command 8475 (9475)  Remote command server is used to
                           send commands from a PC to an AS/400
                           and for program calls
-------------  ----------   ----------------------------------
File           8473 (9473)  File Server is used for accessing
                           any part of the AS/400 file system
-------------  ----------   ----------------------------------
Print          8474 (9474)  Printer Server is used to access
                           printers known to the AS/400
-------------  ----------   ----------------------------------
Web Admin      2001 (2010)  Used to access web applications
                           served by the AS/400
-------------  ----------   ----------------------------------
DDM            446 (448)    DDM server is used to access data
                           via DRDA and for record level access
-------------  ----------   ----------------------------------
Telnet         23 (992)     Telent server is used to access
                           5250 emulation
-------------  ----------   ----------------------------------
NetServer      137, 138,    AS/400 NetServer allows access to
               139, 8474   AS/400 integrated file system from
                           Windows PCs
-------------  ----------   ----------------------------------
USF            8480         Ultimedia services is used for
                           multimedia data
-------------  ----------   ----------------------------------
LDAP           389 (636)    Provides a network directory service
-------------  ----------   ----------------------------------
Mgmt Central   5555 (5566)  Management Central server is used
                           to manage multiple AS/400s in a
                           network

Note 1: The port number in parenthesis is the one used
       to connect to the server via SSL (encrypted session).
Note 2: Ports 449, 8xxx, and 9xxx can be started with the
       STRHOSTSVR *ALL command.  The others need to be started
       individually, or can be set to autostart when TCP/IP is
       started (as can 449, 8xxx, and 9xxx).
Note 3: Although 8474 is listed next to NetServer, it is only
       used internally so does not have to be set in your
       firewall IP filtering.  However, that server (print
       server) must be started for NetServer to work properly.
Note 4: If any applications are registered under Application
       Administration, then the remote command server will be
       required in addition to what is listed below.

CLIENT ACCESS FUNCTION      SERVERS USED
----------------------      ----------------------------
PC5250 display & printer    Sign-on, Central, Telnet
  emulation
----------------------      ----------------------------
Data Transfer               Sign-on, Central, Database
----------------------      ----------------------------
Base Operations Navigator
  Support                  Sign-on, Remote Command
----------------------      ----------------------------
All Operations Navigator    Sign-on, Remote Command, File,
 function                  Print, Database, Web Admin,
                           Mgmt Central, USF, NetServer,
                           LDAP, Data Queue
----------------------      ----------------------------
ODBC                        Sign-on, Database
----------------------      ----------------------------
OLE DB                      Sign-on, Database, DDM, Remote
                           Command, Data Queue
----------------------      ----------------------------
AFP Viewer                  Sign-on, Print
Client Access Install       NetServer
Incoming Remote Command     Uses no specific server, and AS/400
                           port will vary.  PC-side port is 512
Fax support                 Sign-on, Print

For other applications that use Client Access APIs, the sign-on
server will be needed, as well as whatever servers support
the specific APIs being used.