  • Subject: Re: R: Changing protocols
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 10:33:27 -0500

Client Access over TCP/IP still supports selection of fields and records.
Straight FTP does not.

What you may have to change is if you are using the following commands:
SAVRST, SAVRSTOBJ, SAVRSTLIB... to distribute objects from one 400 to
another you'll have to come up with a FTP equivalent.  They're out there,
just not IBM supplied.

You'll change from using STRPASTHR to TELNET.

You'll change from getting "route to specified location not found x'0009'"
to a more robust solution.  Instances in which the comm drops for a brief
interval and the user might not ever know it.

You'll change from maxing out the number of SNA PC controllers you can have
configured on your lan (somewhere around 254), to the sky being the limit.

You'll change from being tied in to only Client Access and Client Access
lookalikes to perform data or terminal access to, not only having Client
Access still available, but also having a host of other opportunities, like
the free ftp provided with MS.

You'll change from having to do things which make your router people puke
(supporting SNA over the router) to straight TCP/IP.

Live free or die!

The question also comes up.  Is SNA dead?  Is IBM enhancing only TCP/IP?
While I prefer TCP/IP, it doesn't seem that IBM abandoned SNA.  After all,
the commands SAVRST* for SNA are relatively new yet IBM hasn't supplied a
TCP/IP equivalent.

Your question is independent of the hardware:  Token Ring versus Ethernet.
I've always been a big fan of Token Ring but it's getting harder and harder
to find the latest switches and whatnot that will support Token Ring.  And
if you do 'settle' on a model because it still supports Token Ring you
might lose other functions.  Also the cost of token ring equipment versus
Ethernet is quite a disparity.  But again, the hardware is independent of
ip versus sna.

Rob Berendt

==================
Remember the Cole!

                    Finucci Domenico

                    <Domenico.Finucci@Fid        To:
"'MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com'" <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
                    italia.it>                   cc:

                    Sent by:                     Subject:     R: Changing
protocols
                    owner-midrange-l@midr

                    ange.com

                    02/14/01 03:07 AM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

Yes, you will loose at least the chance of choosing  fields, records while
downloading/uploading  files .
Sincerely

Domenico Finucci
Fiditalia , Milano, 02- 4301-2494