  • Subject: Re: Java is now dead
  • From: boldt@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:37:35 -0500

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:20:39 -0600
From: "Leif Svalgaard" <leif@leif.org>
Leif wrote:
>From: <boldt@ca.ibm.com>
>> No, Java's not dead, but there are a lot of other
>> reasons why developers haven't flocked to Java
>
>I don't disagree, but, Hans, would you elaborate
>on some of these other reasons?

First, on the browser side, client-side scripting (of any stripe)
really hasn't taken off.  There are too many implementation
differences amongst the various scripting languages.  As a result,
proper web site design relegates client-side scripting largely to
appearance issues.  Thus, you could be justified in saying Java is
dead on the client.

Java has found its place, however, on the server side.  But there
the competition is fierce.  Besides CGI applications written in
your favorite language (C, RPG, REXX, Perl, etc), you also have
Net.Data, ASP, PHP, and ZOPE (to name just a few).  Although Java
and WebSphere may be well suited to large enterprise applications,
there is probably more support for CGI apps written in Perl than
any other language.  As a result, there are probably more web
sites out there that use Perl than any other language.

So, it's not that Java is a bad language, it's just that there are
a lot of other choices that are more attractive for one reason or
another.  Many programmers use what they know, which is why RPG is
becoming popular for CGI on the AS/400, er, iSeries.  For Linux
programmers, Perl is popular since it's free and there's lots of
support available.  It also integrates easily with databases and
you can even do OOP in Perl.  The wild syntax of Perl also appeals
to the anarchic nature of Linux fans.

--
Hans Boldt, ILE RPG Development, IBM Toronto Lab, boldt@ca.ibm.com