  • Subject: Re: RUNQRY behavior
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 13:22:00 EST

From Alister Wm Macintyre

I have been programming AS/400 since 1998 and worked on S/36 before that & I
am not yet a Jedi Master but have learned some things that are not clearly
spelled out in the documentation.  You are probably much closer to being a
Jedi Master of 400 programming than I am.

A query definition does NOT use whatever logical you specify for sequence or
selection criteria.  It uses the logical that you specified to identify the
physical file that is to be processed, then depending upon the logic within
the query definition, OS/400 will seek to use the best logical for
processing, within a reasonable time period to figure that out, and it is at
that point that it will include the one you suggested as one of those to
consider.

So if the files being used are large & complex & there are many logicals
already on the system, OS/400 may not have time to figure out optimal logical
access paths to use, so it ends up using the one you SUGGESTED in your query
definitions.  When writing query definitions we cannot depend upon the rules
in our suggested logical, we have to repeat those rules in our selection
criteria & sort request.

RUNQRY *N file is consistent with this & more obvious because we should have
written good query definitions in which a conflict between suggested logical
and actual logical only impacts performance & not the output from the query.

When I RUNQRY *N file I rarely press enter, but F4 then change bottom of
screen to *YES & occasionally change output options to print.  I have never
tried to *OUTFILE here at command line.

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838