  • Subject: Re: Periodical resources for new sys admin
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:36:48 EST

>  From:    danda400man@yahoo.com (DanDaFourOOMan)

>  As I've posted before, I am soon assuming a new
>  "AS/400 systems engineer" (fancy, eh?) title in our
>  company.
>
>  While I am still forming my arguments for attending
>  COMMON (that presentation will be made in a few
>  weeks), I am wondering which AS/400 periodicals would
>  be particularly useful to my new position.  My new
>  responsibilities will very quickly be to recommend the
>  configuration of replacement AS/400s and LPPs.
>
>  Any suggestions?

A subscription to the official IBM magazine of AS/400 sites is FREE if you
have an AS/400 & sign up for it.  I find several useful articles there but it
is slim compared to the stuff somebody pays for.

I have been getting News/400 Magazine for MANY years & consider it to be a
dynamite source of technical information & continuing education ... I am
often digging into back issues.  We are far from the frontiers of new 400
capabilities & when we do delve into something that is new to us, there are
tons of articles from the people who preceeded us.  A membership in the
larger AS/400 network should be considered to be essential.

Midrange Computing is a close competitor to News/400.  I started with
News/400 & stuck with it because it supported operating systems peripheral to
OS/400 at a time that Midrange Computing appeared to be OS/400 only & we
needed education in the other operating systems.

If you can afford it, I would reccommend both News/400 and Midrange Computing
Magazines.

There are some special publications in addition to the main from these
places, that focus on the needs of narrow interests, not found in every shop,
such as RPG ILE.

Depending on your company's industry, there are probably several free
magazines of relevance.  I get several that are for companies using midsized
IBM platforms to run Enterprise & ERP applications ... they are good for
state of art of what can be done today to solve common problems, but are not
really AS/400 management specific.

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838