• Subject: PDF
  • From: "Bob Cozzi" <bobcozzi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:03:11 -0600
  • Importance: Normal

Nick,

Check out www.export-ventures.com they have one of the fastest PDF
generators (if not _the_ fastest) available.
Basically you just created an out queue whose target is their PDF writer...
effectively it is the same as writing to the PDFWriter print driver on the
PC. Works great.

Bob Cozzi


> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-midrange-l-digest@midrange.com
> [mailto:owner-midrange-l-digest@midrange.com]
> Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 7:31 PM
> To: midrange-l-digest@midrange.com
> Subject: MIDRANGE-L Digest V4 #68
>
>
> MIDRANGE-L Digest      Tuesday, January 23 2001      Volume 04 :
> Number 068
>
>
>
> This is the Midrange System Digest Mailing List!
> To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
> To subscribe to this list send email to
> MIDRANGE-L-DIGEST-SUB@midrange.com.
> To unsubscribe from this list send email to
> MIDRANGE-L-DIGEST-UNSUB@midrange.com.
> Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator:
> david@midrange.com
>
> *** DO NOT QUOTE THIS ENTIRE DIGEST WHEN REPLYING ***
>
> Topics covered in this issue...
>
> Re: New competition for OS/400.
> Re: The Scoop about AS/400/iSeries Systems and Web pages...
> New competition for OS/400.
> PDM F18
> Re: Security
> Creating Adobe Acrobat files on AS/400
> RE: Creating Adobe Acrobat files on AS/400
> RE: Creating Adobe Acrobat files on AS/400
> PDM F18
> Re: PDM F18
> Re: PDM F18
> Re: PDM F18
> RE: Creating Adobe Acrobat files on AS/400
> Re: Modify EBCDIC>ASCII xlate table
> Re: Creating Adobe Acrobat files on AS/400
> Re: Creating Adobe Acrobat files on AS/400
> Disk Problems
> Re: Disk Problems
> Re: PDM F18
> Re: Security
> Re: Disk Problems
> Re: Disk Problems
> Re: PDM F18
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:49:34 -0500
> From: Chuck Lewis <clewis@iquest.net>
> Subject: Re: New competition for OS/400.
>
> That is HILARIOUS Larry; thanks for pointing that out.
>
> Chuck
>
> Larry Bolhuis wrote:
>
> > Forgive me, but it really IS Funny!
> >
> > http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/
> >
> >  - Larry
> > +---
> > | This is the Midrange System Mailing List!
> > | To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
> > | To subscribe to this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-SUB@midrange.com.
> > | To unsubscribe from this list send email to
> MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
> > | Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator:
> david@midrange.com
> > +---
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:51:02 -0600
> From: "Jade Richtsmeier" <jade.richtsmeier@mcis.cog.mn.us>
> Subject: Re: The Scoop about AS/400/iSeries Systems and Web pages...
>
> Great web site and perfect timing - Just in time for Valentines Day!
>
>
> - ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Andrew Borts" <andrewb@setacorporation.com>
> To: <midrange-l@midrange.com>
> Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 12:57 PM
> Subject: The Scoop about AS/400/iSeries Systems and Web pages...
>
>
> > It was rumored that you guys were looking for a  "Non AS/400 looking"
> > website running on an AS/400.  We're doing a HUGE amount of
> traffic, with
> > our average visitors per day being 14,000 in the holiday rush.  We're
> going
> > with the "Wide" not "Tall" model meaning we'll load balance the heck out
> of
> > our site with more AS/400's/iSeries systems before we place big iron in
> our
> > solution.  This site is run using CGI RPG, and Net.Data as it's backbone
> > with a little NetComerce left, but that will change shortly...
> >
> > V4R5 and the 270 is a GREAT combination - it frankly smokes...
> >
> > Andrew Borts / Information Systems Project Leader
> > Seta Corporation
> > 6400 East Rogers Circle
> > Boca Raton, FL 33499
> >
> > E-mail: Andrewb@setacorporation.com
> > Corporate web site http://www.setacorporation.com
> > E-Commerce web site http://www.palmbeachjewelry.com
> > Voice: 561-994-2660 Ext. 2211 / Fax: 561-997-0774
> >
> >
> > +---
> > | This is the Midrange System Mailing List!
> > | To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
> > | To subscribe to this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-SUB@midrange.com.
> > | To unsubscribe from this list send email to
> MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
> > | Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator:
> david@midrange.com
> > +---
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:04:00 -0500
> From: D.BALE@handleman.com
> Subject: New competition for OS/400.
>
> ROTFLMAO!
>
> Dan Bale
> IT - AS/400
> Handleman Company
> 248-362-4400  Ext. 4952
>
> - -------------------------- Original Message --------------------------
> Forgive me, but it really IS Funny!
>
> http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/
>
>  - Larry
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:29:15 -0500
> From: "Denis Robitaille" <DRobitaille@cascades.com>
> Subject: PDM F18
>
> Hello all,
>
> When in PDM, if you use the option 14 to compile, the compile is
> done under the QBATCH job description by default. If I want to
> change that (We prefer *USRPRF), I must press F18 and change it.
> The change is for the current user profil only.
>
> How do I change the default form QBATCH to something else. We
> have enough staff turnover that we often forget to change it individually.
>
> Thanks
>
> Denis Robitaille
> Directeur services techniques
> Cascades Inc
> 819 363 5187
> fax 819 363 5177
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:40:39 -0600
> From: Kevin_a_Layne@CRCMN.COM
> Subject: Re: Security
>
> just get a password from a user...
>
>
> Kevin Layne
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:50:46 -0500
> From: John Myers - MM <jmyersmm@sbsusa.com>
> Subject: Creating Adobe Acrobat files on AS/400
>
> We are doing a project where we would like to create Adobe
> Acrobat files in
> the AS/400's IFS.
>
> The document created would be similar to an employee ID card with a
> picture, graphics, and text.
>
> I know that there are products that convert spool files to .pdf
> files.  Are
> there any products / code samples for formatting and creating custom .pdf
> files natively on the AS/400?  A fallback would be a document that
> describes the Acrobat standard.  I would prefer to not add an NT
> server to
> the configuration to get this done.
>
> Sincerely,
> John Myers
> IBM Certified Specialist - AS/400 Technical Solutions
> IBM Certified Specialist - Advisor for e-Business
> Strategic Business Systems, Inc.
> 17 S. Franklin Turnpike, Ramsey, NJ 07446  USA
> E-mail: mailto:jmyers@sbsusa.com   Phone: +1 (201) EASY 400   x131
> Web:    http://www.sbsusa.com      Fax:   +1 (201) 327-6984
>
> Free Sports League Management - Powered by AS/400
>       http://www.ScoreBook.com
>
> Get and route intelligence from your IBM AS/400 web site - WebSurvey/400
>       http://www.WebSurvey400.com
>
> Systems supporting the distribution operations of Motor Vehicle
> manufacturers
>      http://www.VehicleSystem.com
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 09:13:14 +1100
> From: "Nick Runnalls" <nick_runnalls@hawkbridge.com>
> Subject: RE: Creating Adobe Acrobat files on AS/400
>
> Try Createform from WWW.createform.com, it may be overkill, but it will
> happily do all you want
>
>
>
> We are doing a project where we would like to create Adobe
> Acrobat files in
> the AS/400's IFS.
>
> The document created would be similar to an employee ID card with a
> picture, graphics, and text.
>
> I know that there are products that convert spool files to .pdf
> files.  Are
> there any products / code samples for formatting and creating custom .pdf
> files natively on the AS/400?  A fallback would be a document that
> describes the Acrobat standard.  I would prefer to not add an NT server to
> the configuration to get this done.
>
> Sincerely,
> John Myers
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:14:00 -0600
> From: "Stone, Brad V (TC)" <bvstone@taylorcorp.com>
> Subject: RE: Creating Adobe Acrobat files on AS/400
>
> I have a utility (SPLTOOL) that creates PDFs from spooled files, but only
> *SCS (text only, no graphics, etc) and let me tell you.  It was
> the worst 4
> months of reading (Adobe PDF specs, newsgroups, etc.), testing, etc. of my
> life.  Sure, PDF is pretty, but it's NOT easy.
>
> I would look at getting 3rd party software.  And also ask yourself "why
> PDF?".
>
> Brad
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: John Myers - MM [mailto:jmyersmm@sbsusa.com]
> > Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 3:51 PM
> > To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
> > Subject: Creating Adobe Acrobat files on AS/400
> >
> >
> > We are doing a project where we would like to create Adobe
> > Acrobat files in
> > the AS/400's IFS.
> >
> > The document created would be similar to an employee ID card with a
> > picture, graphics, and text.
> >
> > I know that there are products that convert spool files to
> > .pdf files.  Are
> > there any products / code samples for formatting and creating
> > custom .pdf
> > files natively on the AS/400?  A fallback would be a document that
> > describes the Acrobat standard.  I would prefer to not add an
> > NT server to
> > the configuration to get this done.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > John Myers
> > IBM Certified Specialist - AS/400 Technical Solutions
> > IBM Certified Specialist - Advisor for e-Business
> > Strategic Business Systems, Inc.
> > 17 S. Franklin Turnpike, Ramsey, NJ 07446  USA
> > E-mail: mailto:jmyers@sbsusa.com   Phone: +1 (201) EASY 400   x131
> > Web:    http://www.sbsusa.com      Fax:   +1 (201) 327-6984
> >
> > Free Sports League Management - Powered by AS/400
> >       http://www.ScoreBook.com
> >
> > Get and route intelligence from your IBM AS/400 web site -
> > WebSurvey/400
> >       http://www.WebSurvey400.com
> >
> > Systems supporting the distribution operations of Motor
> > Vehicle manufacturers
> >      http://www.VehicleSystem.com
> >
> > +---
> > | This is the Midrange System Mailing List!
> > | To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
> > | To subscribe to this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-SUB@midrange.com.
> > | To unsubscribe from this list send email to
> > MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
> > | Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator:
> > david@midrange.com
> > +---
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:21:00 -0500
> From: D.BALE@handleman.com
> Subject: PDM F18
>
> Well, this won't help you to change the default, but perhaps this
> information
> could lead you to develop something to change en masse?  Hint:
> will probably
> require MI and will be totally unsupported by IBM, so if you hose this up,
> you're SOL.  But if you're that desperate...  For RISC boxes, all
> of the PDM
> options are stored in the user profile.  (In v3r2, some PDM F18
> options are
> stored there, some of it elsewhere - haven't found out where yet.)
>
>   DmpSysObj  Obj( &User ) Context( QSYS ) Type( 0E ) SubType( C4 )
>
> Dan Bale
> IT - AS/400
> Handleman Company
> 248-362-4400  Ext. 4952
>
> - -------------------------- Original Message --------------------------
> Hello all,
>
> When in PDM, if you use the option 14 to compile, the compile is
> done under
>  the QBATCH job description by default. If I want to change that
> (We prefer
>  *USRPRF), I must press F18 and change it. The change is for the
> current user
>  profil only.
>
> How do I change the default form QBATCH to something else. We have enough
>  staff turnover that we often forget to change it individually.
>
> Thanks
>
> Denis Robitaille
> Directeur services techniques
> Cascades Inc
> 819 363 5187
> fax 819 363 5177
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:27:53 -0500
> From: "Al Barsa, Jr." <barsa2@ibm.net>
> Subject: Re: PDM F18
>
> At 04:29 PM 1/23/01 -0500, you wrote:
> >Hello all,
> >
> >When in PDM, if you use the option 14 to compile, the compile is done
> >under the QBATCH job description by default. If I want to change
> that (We
> >prefer *USRPRF), I must press F18 and change it. The change is for the
> >current user profil only.
> >
> >How do I change the default form QBATCH to something else. We
> have enough
> >staff turnover that we often forget to change it individually.
>
> I don't think you can.  However you can change the CRTxxxPGM and CRTDSPF
> commands to not run interactively.
>
> Al
>
>
>
>
> +--------------------------------------------------+
> | Please do not send private mail to this address. |
> | Private mail should go to barsa@ibm.net.         |
> +--------------------------------------------------+
>
> Al Barsa, Jr. - Account for Midrange-L
> Barsa Consulting Group, LLC.
> 400 > 390
>
> Phone:                914-251-1234
> Fax:          914-251-9406
> http://www.barsaconsulting.com
> http://www.taatool.com
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 18:13:11 -0500
> From: "Al Barsa, Jr." <barsa2@ibm.net>
> Subject: Re: PDM F18
>
> At 05:21 PM 1/23/01 -0500, you wrote:
>
> There is a whole area of user options called the "interactive portion of
> the user profile" that you cannot get at.  I wouldn't mess with the user
> profile object, or you might execute the MAKEAMESS command.
>
> Al
>
>
> >Well, this won't help you to change the default, but perhaps
> this information
> >could lead you to develop something to change en masse?  Hint:
> will probably
> >require MI and will be totally unsupported by IBM, so if you
> hose this up,
> >you're SOL.  But if you're that desperate...  For RISC boxes,
> all of the PDM
> >options are stored in the user profile.  (In v3r2, some PDM F18
> options are
> >stored there, some of it elsewhere - haven't found out where yet.)
> >
> >   DmpSysObj  Obj( &User ) Context( QSYS ) Type( 0E ) SubType( C4 )
> >
> >Dan Bale
> >IT - AS/400
> >Handleman Company
> >248-362-4400  Ext. 4952
> >
> >-------------------------- Original Message --------------------------
> >Hello all,
> >
> >When in PDM, if you use the option 14 to compile, the compile is
> done under
> >  the QBATCH job description by default. If I want to change
> that (We prefer
> >  *USRPRF), I must press F18 and change it. The change is for
> the current user
> >  profil only.
> >
> >How do I change the default form QBATCH to something else. We have enough
> >  staff turnover that we often forget to change it individually.
>
>
>
> +--------------------------------------------------+
> | Please do not send private mail to this address. |
> | Private mail should go to barsa@ibm.net.         |
> +--------------------------------------------------+
>
> Al Barsa, Jr. - Account for Midrange-L
> Barsa Consulting Group, LLC.
> 400 > 390
>
> Phone:                914-251-1234
> Fax:          914-251-9406
> http://www.barsaconsulting.com
> http://www.taatool.com
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:21:05 -0600
> From: "Leif Svalgaard" <leif@leif.org>
> Subject: Re: PDM F18
>
> From: <D.BALE@handleman.com>
>
> > Well, this won't help you to change the default, but perhaps this
> information
> > could lead you to develop something to change en masse?  Hint: will
> probably
> > require MI and will be totally unsupported by IBM, so if you
> hose this up,
> > you're SOL.  But if you're that desperate...  For RISC boxes, all of the
> PDM
> > options are stored in the user profile.  (In v3r2, some PDM F18
> options are
> > stored there, some of it elsewhere - haven't found out where yet.)
> >
> >   DmpSysObj  Obj( &User ) Context( QSYS ) Type( 0E ) SubType( C4 )
> >
>
> your example is correct, but the options are *not* stored in the user
> profile.
> The object you are referring to is called the "interactive profile".
> The user profile has type*08) subtype (01).
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 18:25:59 -0500
> From: John Myers - MM <jmyersmm@sbsusa.com>
> Subject: RE: Creating Adobe Acrobat files on AS/400
>
> Brad ... Thanks,
>
> ' checked out your site prior to submitting the question ...
>
> The reason that my staff recommended .pdf is that they need to
> dynamically
> create these documents on the fly & be able to serve them, in
> color, in the
> exact proportions & sizes to users with delivery & printing via a
> web browser.
>
> There is also the issue of vertical printing that they would like
> to do on
> some versions of the document.
>
> We are open to other technologies if they can do the above!
>
> Yeah, it sounds like 5 lb of fertilizer in a 10 lb sack, but
> there's a good
> reason that we want to do it ... the current front-running idea is to put
> an NT server in the mix to build the pdf file.  To me, simplicity is next
> to godliness ... the NT is just something else to go wrong!
>
> Thanks ... John
>
> At 05:14 PM 1/23/01, you wrote:
> >I have a utility (SPLTOOL) that creates PDFs from spooled files, but only
> >*SCS (text only, no graphics, etc) and let me tell you.  It was
> the worst 4
> >months of reading (Adobe PDF specs, newsgroups, etc.), testing,
> etc. of my
> >life.  Sure, PDF is pretty, but it's NOT easy.
> >
> >I would look at getting 3rd party software.  And also ask yourself "why
> >PDF?".
> >
> >Brad
> >
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: John Myers - MM [mailto:jmyersmm@sbsusa.com]
> > > Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 3:51 PM
> > > To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
> > > Subject: Creating Adobe Acrobat files on AS/400
> > >
> > >
> > > We are doing a project where we would like to create Adobe
> > > Acrobat files in
> > > the AS/400's IFS.
> > >
> > > The document created would be similar to an employee ID card with a
> > > picture, graphics, and text.
> > >
> > > I know that there are products that convert spool files to
> > > .pdf files.  Are
> > > there any products / code samples for formatting and creating
> > > custom .pdf
> > > files natively on the AS/400?  A fallback would be a document that
> > > describes the Acrobat standard.  I would prefer to not add an
> > > NT server to
> > > the configuration to get this done.
> > >
> > > Sincerely,
> > > John Myers
> > > IBM Certified Specialist - AS/400 Technical Solutions
> > > IBM Certified Specialist - Advisor for e-Business
> > > Strategic Business Systems, Inc.
> > > 17 S. Franklin Turnpike, Ramsey, NJ 07446  USA
> > > E-mail: mailto:jmyers@sbsusa.com   Phone: +1 (201) EASY 400   x131
> > > Web:    http://www.sbsusa.com      Fax:   +1 (201) 327-6984
> > >
> > > Free Sports League Management - Powered by AS/400
> > >       http://www.ScoreBook.com
> > >
> > > Get and route intelligence from your IBM AS/400 web site -
> > > WebSurvey/400
> > >       http://www.WebSurvey400.com
> > >
> > > Systems supporting the distribution operations of Motor
> > > Vehicle manufacturers
> > >      http://www.VehicleSystem.com
> > >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:56:01 -0600 (CST)
> From: Scott Klement <klemscot@klements.com>
> Subject: Re: Modify EBCDIC>ASCII xlate table
>
> Hi Dan...
>
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 D.BALE@handleman.com wrote:
>
> > I've created a remote out queue to use an IP-addressable
> (ASCII) label printer
> > on our network.  The printer requires an ASCII hex code '02' as
> a prefix to
> > several "system-level" commands.
>
> We have several Datamax label printers that use this x'02' as a prefix to
> commands... there are also x'01' prefixes, too...
>
> > Our experience with this type of label printer thus far has
> been to attach it
> > to a 5250 dumb terminal via the serial port.  The IDEA display
> station allows
> > custom translation and it is here that we translate an '@'
> character (EBCDIC
> > x'7C') to an ASCII x'02' character.
>
> Interesting idea... I could probably use that :)
>
> > Is a workstation customizing object the way to go here?  Is
> there an existing
> > EBCDIC-to-ASCII *WSCST object that I can copy to a new one and
> modify the one
> > byte?
>
> Just set one up and tell it that '@' is an ASCII control sequence...
> Then tell it that the sequence is x'02'
>
> Like this:
>
> :WSCST DEVCLASS=TRANSFORM.
>
>      :TRNSFRMTBL.
>      :SPACE
>        DATA ='20'X.
>      :CARRTN
>        DATA ='0D'X.
>      :LINEFEED
>        DATA ='0A'X.
>      :ASCCPINFO.
>      :CODEPAGE
>        CODEPAGE = 437
>        DATA =''X.
>      :ASCIICTL
>        ASCII ='40'X
>        DATA ='02'X.
>      :EASCCPINFO.
> :EWSCST.
>
> If you typed that into source member LABEL in LIB/QTXTSRC, then you'd
> compile it with:
>
> CRTWSCST WSCST(MYLIB/LABEL) SRCFILE(LIB/QTXTSRC)
>
> then specify MYLIB/LABEL as the workstation customizing object.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:08:29 -0800
> From: "Peter Dow" <pcdow@MailAndNews.com>
> Subject: Re: Creating Adobe Acrobat files on AS/400
>
> Hi John,
>
> Adobe has the fallback documentation you mentioned:
>
>     http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/acrosdk/DOCS/pdfspec.pdf
>
> HTH,
> Peter Dow
> Dow Software Services, Inc.
> 909 425-0194 voice
> 909 425-0196 fax
>
>
> - ----- Original Message -----
> From: "John Myers - MM" <jmyersmm@sbsusa.com>
> To: <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
> Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 1:50 PM
> Subject: Creating Adobe Acrobat files on AS/400
>
>
> > We are doing a project where we would like to create Adobe Acrobat files
> in
> > the AS/400's IFS.
> >
> > The document created would be similar to an employee ID card with a
> > picture, graphics, and text.
> >
> > I know that there are products that convert spool files to .pdf files.
> Are
> > there any products / code samples for formatting and creating
> custom .pdf
> > files natively on the AS/400?  A fallback would be a document that
> > describes the Acrobat standard.  I would prefer to not add an
> NT server to
> > the configuration to get this done.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > John Myers
> > IBM Certified Specialist - AS/400 Technical Solutions
> > IBM Certified Specialist - Advisor for e-Business
> > Strategic Business Systems, Inc.
> > 17 S. Franklin Turnpike, Ramsey, NJ 07446  USA
> > E-mail: mailto:jmyers@sbsusa.com   Phone: +1 (201) EASY 400   x131
> > Web:    http://www.sbsusa.com      Fax:   +1 (201) 327-6984
> >
> > Free Sports League Management - Powered by AS/400
> >       http://www.ScoreBook.com
> >
> > Get and route intelligence from your IBM AS/400 web site - WebSurvey/400
> >       http://www.WebSurvey400.com
> >
> > Systems supporting the distribution operations of Motor Vehicle
> manufacturers
> >      http://www.VehicleSystem.com
> >
> > +---
> > | This is the Midrange System Mailing List!
> > | To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
> > | To subscribe to this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-SUB@midrange.com.
> > | To unsubscribe from this list send email to
> MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
> > | Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator:
> david@midrange.com
> > +---
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:27:49 -0800
> From: "Patrick Townsend" <patownsend@patownsend.com>
> Subject: Re: Creating Adobe Acrobat files on AS/400
>
> You might check out the PDFLib stuff. I think the web site is
> http://www.pdflib.com. They have either have an AS/400 version, or
> instructions on how to create an AS/400 version. Once you have
> that you have
> to master the APIs to build PDF images. But its a lot easier than creating
> PDF yourself!
>
> Patrick
> - ---
> IBM AS/400 communications, FTP automation, and eCommerce
> software and consulting services.
>
> http://www.patownsend.com
>
> - ----- Original Message -----
> From: "John Myers - MM" <jmyersmm@sbsusa.com>
> To: <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
> Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 1:50 PM
> Subject: Creating Adobe Acrobat files on AS/400
>
>
> > We are doing a project where we would like to create Adobe Acrobat files
> in
> > the AS/400's IFS.
> >
> > The document created would be similar to an employee ID card with a
> > picture, graphics, and text.
> >
> > I know that there are products that convert spool files to .pdf files.
> Are
> > there any products / code samples for formatting and creating
> custom .pdf
> > files natively on the AS/400?  A fallback would be a document that
> > describes the Acrobat standard.  I would prefer to not add an
> NT server to
> > the configuration to get this done.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > John Myers
> > IBM Certified Specialist - AS/400 Technical Solutions
> > IBM Certified Specialist - Advisor for e-Business
> > Strategic Business Systems, Inc.
> > 17 S. Franklin Turnpike, Ramsey, NJ 07446  USA
> > E-mail: mailto:jmyers@sbsusa.com   Phone: +1 (201) EASY 400   x131
> > Web:    http://www.sbsusa.com      Fax:   +1 (201) 327-6984
> >
> > Free Sports League Management - Powered by AS/400
> >       http://www.ScoreBook.com
> >
> > Get and route intelligence from your IBM AS/400 web site - WebSurvey/400
> >       http://www.WebSurvey400.com
> >
> > Systems supporting the distribution operations of Motor Vehicle
> manufacturers
> >      http://www.VehicleSystem.com
> >
> > +---
> > | This is the Midrange System Mailing List!
> > | To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
> > | To subscribe to this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-SUB@midrange.com.
> > | To unsubscribe from this list send email to
> MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
> > | Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator:
> david@midrange.com
> > +---
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 19:39:40 -0500
> From: John Hall <jhall@hillmgt.com>
> Subject: Disk Problems
>
> When I run wrkdsksts and press F11 to display storage use all 5 units
> show up as
>
> TYPE = DPY
> STATUS = DEGRADED
>
> We are on V4R4  Model 170
>
> I have determined that this means a decrease in performance has occurred
> because a component that is not critical has failed.
>
> From another source DEGRADED may mean that the IOP Cache Has failed.
>
> WRKHDWRSC shows everything (that I can see) as "operational"
>
> Anybody seen this.
>
> What's the next area to look at.
>
> TIA
>
> John Hall
> Home Sales Co.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:53:46 -0800
> From: KirkG@PacInfoSys.com
> Subject: Re: Disk Problems
>
> Do WRKPRB and see what it shows.
>
> - ---------------------------------
> Kirk Goins
> IBM Certified AS/400 Technical Solutions
> DataMirror High Availability Certified
> Pacific Information Systems - An IBM Premier Business Partner
> 503-674-2985             kirkg@pacinfosys.com
> "WE KNOW TECHNOLOGY"
> - ---------------------------------
>
>
>
>
>
> John Hall <jhall@hillmgt.com>
> Sent by: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com
> 01/23/01 04:39 PM
> Please respond to MIDRANGE-L
>
>
>         To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
>         cc:
>         Subject:        Disk Problems
>
>
> When I run wrkdsksts and press F11 to display storage use all 5 units
> show up as
>
> TYPE = DPY
> STATUS = DEGRADED
>
> We are on V4R4  Model 170
>
> I have determined that this means a decrease in performance has occurred
> because a component that is not critical has failed.
>
> From another source DEGRADED may mean that the IOP Cache Has failed.
>
> WRKHDWRSC shows everything (that I can see) as "operational"
>
> Anybody seen this.
>
> What's the next area to look at.
>
> TIA
>
> John Hall
> Home Sales Co.
> +---
> | This is the Midrange System Mailing List!
> | To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
> | To subscribe to this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-SUB@midrange.com.
> | To unsubscribe from this list send email to
> MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
> | Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator:
> david@midrange.com
> +---
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:06:56 -0500 (EST)
> From: Don <dr2@cssas400.com>
> Subject: Re: PDM F18
>
> which is actually an "index" object as I recall...it's got the same kind
> of goodies that you used when do you did a PRTDOC *PREV...it had to know
> where the *PREV was so, this was stored in this index...it's a simple MI
> routine to read from, BUT, I recommend NOT writing to itunless you have
> good backups and know what you're doing...:)
>
> I had to delve into this back when I was having to add some MUCH NEEDED
> and LACKING functionality to fax/400 back several years ago...
>
> Don in DC
>
> - -------
>
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Leif Svalgaard wrote:
>
> > From: <D.BALE@handleman.com>
> >
> > > Well, this won't help you to change the default, but perhaps this
> > information
> > > could lead you to develop something to change en masse?  Hint: will
> > probably
> > > require MI and will be totally unsupported by IBM, so if you
> hose this up,
> > > you're SOL.  But if you're that desperate...  For RISC boxes,
> all of the
> > PDM
> > > options are stored in the user profile.  (In v3r2, some PDM
> F18 options are
> > > stored there, some of it elsewhere - haven't found out where yet.)
> > >
> > >   DmpSysObj  Obj( &User ) Context( QSYS ) Type( 0E ) SubType( C4 )
> > >
> >
> > your example is correct, but the options are *not* stored in the user
> > profile.
> > The object you are referring to is called the "interactive profile".
> > The user profile has type*08) subtype (01).
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > +---
> > | This is the Midrange System Mailing List!
> > | To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
> > | To subscribe to this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-SUB@midrange.com.
> > | To unsubscribe from this list send email to
> MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
> > | Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator:
> david@midrange.com
> > +---
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:07:08 EST
> From: MacWheel99@aol.com
> Subject: Re: Security
>
> >  From:    freiss47@yahoo.com (Frank Reiss)
> >
> >  I would like to understand how the hacker would theoretically be
> successful
> > in breaking into an AS/400 and making off with data. Would the
> hacker get
> to
> > the files on the network server and corrupt. Or is the issue
> one of signing-
> > on and having some password program generate a password.
> >  Frank
>
> There are many ways to connect to AS/400.  You do not need a password.
>
> Most software installed on AS/400s world wide was written in an
> era in which
> you did need a password, so that software is ill equipped to
> protect against
> new ways of connecting.
>
> I have been meaning to send you some stuff off-line & got distracted.
> I have not forgotten you.
> The first document I am sending you is a study of System Values
> that have an
> impact on Security, including some that are not in the official
> IBM list of
> security impacts.  These notes developed over time from education
> here, then
> I looked up what our settings are, explained to my satisfaction what the
> significance is, decided what settings we should consider
> switching to & why
> & here are my notes leading to those conclusions ... some of
> these values you
> might want to check out where you work & see if you agree or
> disagree with my
> conclusions for your site.
>
> MacWheel99@aol.com (Alister Wm Macintyre) (Al Mac)
> AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed
> mode (twinax
> interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
> Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
> sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:20:49 -0800
> From: "Mike Shaw" <mshaw@ncal.verio.com>
> Subject: Re: Disk Problems
>
> John,
>
> Best advise is to get a service call in and let the CE take a look.  A
> component in one of the disk units or the IOP may need to be
> replaced.  Get
> it dealt with while  you still have options available.
>
> Are there any entries in the Product Activity Log (use STRSST to see PAL
> entries) for magnetic media?  That is one of the first places the CE will
> go.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike Shaw
> Senior AS/400 Tech Support
> North American Mortgage
> Santa Rosa, CA
>
>
> - ----- Original Message -----
> Subject: Disk Problems
>
>
> > When I run wrkdsksts and press F11 to display storage use all 5 units
> > show up as
> >
> > TYPE = DPY
> > STATUS = DEGRADED
> >
> > We are on V4R4  Model 170
> >
> > I have determined that this means a decrease in performance has occurred
> > because a component that is not critical has failed.
> >
> > From another source DEGRADED may mean that the IOP Cache Has failed.
> >
> > WRKHDWRSC shows everything (that I can see) as "operational"
> >
> > Anybody seen this.
> >
> > What's the next area to look at.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > John Hall
> > Home Sales Co.
> > +---
> > | This is the Midrange System Mailing List!
> > | To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
> > | To subscribe to this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-SUB@midrange.com.
> > | To unsubscribe from this list send email to
> MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
> > | Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator:
> david@midrange.com
> > +---
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:22:53 -0500
> From: John Hall <jhall@hillmgt.com>
> Subject: Re: Disk Problems
>
> Man this list is Great !
>
> Thanks
>
> Cache Battery Pack.
>
> KirkG@PacInfoSys.com wrote:
> >
> > Do WRKPRB and see what it shows.
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 19:29:28 -0600
> From: "Leif Svalgaard" <leif@leif.org>
> Subject: Re: PDM F18
>
> From: Don <dr2@cssas400.com>
> > which is actually an "index" object as I recall...it's got the same kind
> > of goodies that you used when do you did a PRTDOC *PREV...it had to know
> > where the *PREV was so, this was stored in this index...it's a simple MI
> > routine to read from, BUT, I recommend NOT writing to itunless you have
> > good backups and know what you're doing...:)
> >
> > I had to delve into this back when I was having to add some MUCH NEEDED
> > and LACKING functionality to fax/400 back several years ago...
>
> Don, although your memory often has parity errors, in this case
> you're quite
> correct. Needless to say, this topic is yet another coming chapter...
>
>
> > On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Leif Svalgaard wrote:
> > > From: <D.BALE@handleman.com>
> > > > Well, this won't help you to change the default, but perhaps this
> > > information
> > > > could lead you to develop something to change en masse?  Hint: will
> > > probably
> > > > require MI and will be totally unsupported by IBM, so if
> you hose this
> up,
> > > > you're SOL.  But if you're that desperate...  For RISC boxes, all of
> the
> > > PDM
> > > > options are stored in the user profile.  (In v3r2, some PDM
> F18 options
> are
> > > > stored there, some of it elsewhere - haven't found out where yet.)
> > > >
> > > >   DmpSysObj  Obj( &User ) Context( QSYS ) Type( 0E ) SubType( C4 )
> > >
> > > your example is correct, but the options are *not* stored in the user
> > > profile.
> > > The object you are referring to is called the "interactive profile".
> > > The user profile has type*08) subtype (01).
> > >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of MIDRANGE-L Digest V4 #68
> *******************************
>
> +---
> | This is the Midrange System Digest Mailing List!
> | To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
> | To subscribe to this list send email to
> MIDRANGE-L-DIGEST-SUB@midrange.com.
> | To unsubscribe from this list send email to
> MIDRANGE-L-DIGEST-UNSUB@midrange.com.
> | Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator:
> david@midrange.com
> +---

+---
| This is the Midrange System Mailing List!
| To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
| To subscribe to this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-SUB@midrange.com.
| To unsubscribe from this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
| Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator: david@midrange.com
+---

This thread ...

Follow-Ups:

Follow On AppleNews
Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2020 by midrange.com and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact [javascript protected email address].