Mark Lazarus wrote:

>Which is more efficient: "If %Open()" or CLOSE(E) ?

Here's the code:

fMaster    IF   E           K Disk    usropn

d LIMIT           s             10u 0 inz(10000)
d bTimeT          s               t
d eTimeT          s               t
d dSecsT          s             10i 0
d bTimeE          s               t
d eTimeE          s               t
d dSecsE          s             10i 0

 * time if open test
c                   time                    bTimeT
c                   do        LIMIT
c                   if        %open(master)
c                   close     master
c                   endif
c                   open      master
c                   enddo
c                   time                    eTimeT

 * time fall over test
c                   close(e)  master
c                   time                    bTimeE
c                   do        LIMIT
c                   close(e)  master
c                   open      master
c                   enddo
c                   time                    eTimeE

c     eTimeT        subdur    bTimeT        dSecsT:*s
c     eTimeE        subdur    bTimeE        dSecsE:*s

c     dSecsT        dsply     'BUCK'
c     dSecsE        dsply     'BUCK'
c                   eval      *inlr = *on

Here are the results:
Pass loops %open close(e)
  1  10000   88     93    - journaled (opnclo)
  2  10000   85     79    - not journaled
  3  10000   85     86    - not journaled
  4  10000   80     79    - journaled (omit opnclo)
  5  10000   81     78    - journaled (omit opnclo)

Apparently there isn't much difference.

Buck Calabro
Aptis; Albany, NY
"Nothing is so firmly believed as
 that which we least know" -- Michel Montaigne
Visit the Midrange archives at http://www.midrange.com