  • Subject: RE: DSL Firewall Question/ZoneAlarm & Winroute
  • From: "Bob Crothers" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 11:36:50 -0500

Doug,

First, I am also a very happy Zonealarm Pro user.  I love it.

My point was that a firewall can block stuff at a port level.  But your
point about applications is a very good one.  Zonealarm works at an
application level.  With a fire wall, you can say Nobody can use port 8080
for outbound and it will block it.  But with Zonealarm, you can say "the
Unifier Windows Client" (my product) can use port 8080, but nothing else
can.  And that gives those who need it (like me) flexibility that a firewall
doesn't.

Another thing I missed.  Since Ken has already spent $500 on a firewall at
home, he is most likely "extra cautious" (this is not a bad thing!).  And
perhaps the extra $40 for Zonealarm will be well spent.

Winroute is another very good product.  We use it at work to provide SMTP
relay, DNS relay, NAT, proxy, POP3, etc and are very happy with it.

Regards,
Bob Crothers