  • Subject: Re: DSL Firewall Question (was List turnaround speed)
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:14:57 EST

The need for a firewall for me is related to method of connecting to the
internet & the quality of the ISP in a number of areas (AOL is very bad in
some areas & pretty good in others) & risks associated with some places we go
on the internet.

With me still on AOL, the likelihood of some hacker getting to my home PC
that way is rather remote, but still possible through one of the scams ...
there is a non-stop stream of "click on this" which is coming from criminals
to AOL members & most of them rather illiterate criminals.

The only clever ones are the first to come up with some new scam - the last
"good" one I saw was claiming to be from AOL billing telling me that there
had been a problem with my credit card account when the monthly billing was
done & I need to click on here to go to AOL billing to straighten it out,
which was really a web page that LOOKED like AOL billing as part of an
elaborate scheme to steal credit card numbers.  I managed to figure that out
instead of falling for it.

Once one criminal had figured this out, there were a thousand copycats.

But when we are connected to the internet all the time via some high speed
line that is purely for that purpose, which is what is coming to me, then we
are at risk of joining the conspiracy of DOS & other things, where criminals
recruit unknowing personal PCs to participate in mass attacks on their
ultimate targets.

There was also the bit about Microsoft being hacked because an employee had a
home computer with no firewall - the hacker got into the employee home PC
then from there Microsoft security had a pervasive flaw in making it too easy
for unauthorized persons using employee machines to get into Microsoft
corporate systems.  And of course these people are forever coming up with new
ways to cause mischef.

Home PC Security with DSL/NIC:
I need to find some way of turning off the high speed internet connection
when I am using my PC for something other than internet connection & I not
yet know if that is doable for the system that I will be getting;
I will need to have a firewall, when in fact I did not need one for dial up
AOL;
there are various tips I need to understand ... what does this do for me &
what are the pros & cons of
unplug physical connection
turn off file and print sharing options