  • Subject: Re: Unix Comparison
  • From: "Emilio Padilla Taylor" <epadilla@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 13:05:53 -0600

This is the comparison that I usually use with my clients when they ask me
the same question:

Think in a new car, you have two options:

1. Build your own car.
You can get something parts like:
Volvo chassis, Porshe engine, Ford Suspention, Toyota Fuel inyection, Skoda
brakes, etc.  IF you are a great mechanics, and after doing a lot of
adaptations, meassurements, etc.  You COULD end up having THE BEST CAR
AROUND.  Great millage, great power, great utility, etc. Something made
exatly to your needs.  Sure it would need a lot of attention, you have to be
very careful about the parts, if the continue to be on the market.  If you
need a new part, because is broken or you need a new function, you MAY BE
on the need to do more adaptations and changes.  If you car need service or
repairs, YOU and only YOU can fix it rigth.  No one to blame, no one to take
the car to.  You will end up earing things like, this brakes are no designed
to work with this kind of suspention, is the chassis fault, etc.  THIS IS A
UNIX SYSTEM. You buy parts, Hardware, OS, Database, Emulation software,
Comunications software, Applicaton software, etc.  You are in charge in
putting it togeter, in servicing it, fix it in case of need. No one to
blame, no one to take your system to.  You will end up earing things like,
this this version of OS does not support this version of Database, this
communication software does not support DRDA for this kind of Database, etc.
Be ready to it.  The price COULD BE that you will have the BEST CAR AROUND.

2. Buy a car for whatever brand you like.
You will have consistency, you will be sure that every piece of you car will
perform as desing in a complete range of functions for what that vehicle was
design for.  You don't have to deal with things like compatibility,
adaptations, etc.  If you need service, you go to your dealer, he will know
what to do.  Your down time(in case of necesity will be lower).  You can
rely on people knowing everything about this particular model (all are build
the same). This is an AS/400. You will know (almost all the time) that
comunications work with database, that OS work with the security, etc(in
case of doubt, install the laset PTF's CUM).  It may not be the BEST car for
all your needs in all cases, but it will give a peace of mind that you will
never find in a UNIX System.

Emilio Padilla