  • Subject: RE: IBM Save 21
  • From: "Goodbar, Loyd (AFS-Water Valley)" <LGoodbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 12:31:26 -0500

I haven't encountered the writer situation mentioned when the system is in
restricted state. Then again, we rarely use save 21...

Go save 21 requires a person. Additionally, a batch program cannot end the
system to a restricted state. However, I wrote a CL program that ends to a
restricted state and performs the steps we wanted from a save 21 (save
*NONSYS, save DLO, save IFS). Additionally I wrote an AT command (similar to
the unix AT) that we run from our console. On Friday (we do this on the
weekend), our check list says to sign on and run the AT command for the
weekly backup. The console is left signed on and counts down to 0; at 5:00
Sat morning, the system ends to restricted state and performs the backup.
When finished, the controlling subsystem restarts and the terminal is signed
off.

We don't have TAA tools, so if there's an AT-type function, we just
duplicated it.

We've run this for a while without incident. If anyone wants, I can send the
source.

Loyd