  • Subject: Re: Operations Navigator
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:48:32 EST

>  From:    Bkhan@medexassist.com (Basit Khan)
>
>  I would like to keep these option for the 'QSECOFR"  only
> but when I connect to Opr,Navigator it does not ask for the password.
>  ( I wonder Why?)

There's a lot of PC stuff that connects to AS/400 without using a 400
interactive session password, such as various client server stuff that puts
AS/400 files in a format that someone with Windows Explorer can royally muck
up if their user security permits them to mess with.  400 Security is a
bigger topic than how Operations Navigator works.  For 400 Security info you
might want to check out

http://www.as400.ibm.com/tstudio/secure1/advisor/secwiz.htm

For Operations Navigator you might want to subscribe at
   <A HREF="http://www.asc-iseries.com">www.ASC-iSeries.com</A>
to what I have cut & pasted here from the last issue that I got - they
sometimes send other ads in HTML that translate to garbage for folks trying
not to use HTML in their e-mail like me.

Subj:    OpsNews  11/29/00
Date:   11/29/2000 8:03:45 AM Central Standard Time
From:   ASC@ASC-iSeries.com (Advanced Systems Concepts)

The latest news and tips for IBM's Operations
Navigator - from Chris Wilson at Advanced Systems Concepts.

Check out the OpCenter systems management plug-ins for OpsNav at
( http://www.asc-iSeries.com/products_ops.htm ).

Welcome!  OpsNews informs the AS/400/iSeries user community about
the latest goings on in Operations Navigator.  This issue
includes sections on:

    Q&A
    What's New
    What's in a Node - Management Central (Part 1)
    Plug-In Front

==== Q&A ============================================

Q:  I want to install the optional components for OpsNav.  Why is
it that when I go to run selective setup in Client Access
Express, I can't access the AS/400's NetServer path?  I'm using
'//QmySystemName/Root' .  I verified that NetServer is running
and my path is correct.

A:  Assuming NetServer is running correctly in your environment
(see the 8/25 and 9/25 OpsNews issues), then your problem may be
one of sharing.  Most likely, your security officer restricted
anyone from accessing '/root' by not sharing it as a resource on
your network, therefore limiting you from explicitly naming that
as your path.  Just as likely, you can still probably access the
subdirectories beneath '/root', since your administrator would
still want to allow Client Access Express updates to take place
by sharing 'QIBM', for example.  If you can't even access the
QIBM subdirectory, then you probably need to review your security
policies regarding the IFS.

Q: I've heard a lot about Management Central and I've installed
it as an optional component.  Why does it appear separate from
the systems in my environment?

A:  For all intents and purposes, Management Central is a
separate entity from your direct AS/400 connections in OpsNav.
Management Central is designed to allow you to monitor
performance, apply fixes, and manage hardware/software inventory
across multiple systems.  A model that encapsulates all connected
systems (called 'endpoints') is required in order to apply the
same change, search, etc. in one place.

==== What's New ==========================================

OpsNav hit the ground running at COMMON, as IBM hosted a
presentation for the trade press on the upcoming V5R1 features.
In case you didn't know, here's what you have to look forward to
in the next release:

  > Graphical command prompting
    (complete with XML-generated help text)

  > A WRKACTJOB equivalent

  > Enhanced performance monitor features

  > New recovery features within the 'Backup' node

  > OpsNav will treat partitioned systems independently

Also, some rumors have been floated in the media regarding the
evolution of OpsNav as a multi-platform standard within IBM.  I
can foresee other platforms adopting the OpsNav model, but that's
most likely where the comparisons will stop.  As I've pointed out
previously, OpsNav is very dependent on Client Access API's and
OS/400 for that matter, so adapting it to some other platform
seems unlikely.  I've also read that this is somehow tied to the
fact that IBM is enhancing OpsNav in Java, which doesn't mean
much of anything other than the fact that it's Rochester's intent
to eventually make it all Java based.  Again, running it in
anything but Windows seems highly unlikely for the foreseeable
future, since IBM hasn't even touched the original 2 million+
lines of C++ code OpsNav was written in.  A little hype is fun to
discuss, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

==== What's in a Node ===================================

Management Central (Part 1)

I'll be discussing the features most people use first, so the
easiest place to begin is by discussing the real-time performance
monitors.  To create a monitor, open 'Management Central' and
right-click 'Monitors' and select 'New Monitor'.  The monitor
creation process is divided into 3 tabbed pages, the first being
the 'General' tab.  Click on the boxes to "check off" the
monitors you want to enable.  OpsNav gives you a fair range of
choices, allowing you to define metrics like CPU utilization and
disk storage.   Once you tell the monitor each metric you want to
track, you can define what kind of threshold actions you want to
take.  The 'Actions' tab allows you to select how you will be
alerted when an alarm goes off.  The monitor functions are great
for freeware, but suffer from some pretty severe limitations if
you are serious about monitoring your system's performance
metrics.  The graphs are small and inflexible, and there is no
way of visualizing what job is causing the problem.   Without
tooting our own horn too loudly, I think you'll find OpCenter
Monitor is a better looking/more powerful monitor.  Of course,
our plug-in isn't free, so let necessity dictate your actions!

==== Plug-In Front ========================================

ASC has released the OpCenter 'Support Tools' plug-in.  The
Support Tools plug-in provides access to ASC's OpCenter Monitor,
Job Intervention, and Message Alert products through the OpsNav
interface.  OpCenter Monitor is a real-time performance cockpit
for your system.  Job Intervention allows you to capture a user
screen, view their QTEMP or LDA, and intervene on their behalf
via command access.  Message Alert monitors interactive and batch
message queues for potentially damaging system events, and alerts
you via e-mail or pager.  For more information on any of these
products, visit ( http://www.asc-iSeries.com/products_ops.htm ).

with the word SUBSCRIBE in the subject area.