  • Subject: Re: Multiple Library Access
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 02:39:16 EST

This depends on how your software packages are written & the degree to which
you trust your users not to mess up.  An "environment" can have a "sign on"
"menu" in which the program goes out & gets all the library list stuff the
users need & all the menus of the environment are off of the "sign on main
application menu."

Now if the users F3 out of the menu to OS/400, then they might do a command
line something that takes them to a different environment, which works the
same way, or you could have an "environment" menu ... different options take
you to different environments.  This sounds great, but the reality is that we
have klutzes.

FRED is signed on & is in PROD1 but FRED thinks he is in PROD2 & he is doing
the kind of stuff that is typical for PROD2, and might be on 3 sessions at
the same time in different environments & next day is looking in the wrong
environment for the work that should have been done there.

We had a case of END OF MONTH processing involving different environments.  A
high executive THOUGHT he was doing a particular environment but in reality
went through the complete end of month fiscal steps in one environment TWICE
& totally missed everything in another environment.  We had to restore a
backup & have him do a whole weekend's work over again.

I told him there was a very simple way to avoid this sort of thing in my
opinion & I showed him how & then for several years the whole accounting
department used my system religiously.

I said ... on your check list on the top, jot down the session address that
you are using for a particular environment, then use that session ONLY for
that environment & use a multi session work station in which each session is
a different environment, then as one of your steps - eye blink between check
list & session address to make sure you are still in sync.  I can also change
config so the session addresses have letters or numbers related to the
environment naming.

When you have klutz users, it is much easier for them to remember to use
sign-on FREDA to get into environment A.  And even when you do not have klutz
users, sometimes different environments LOOK the same.