Chris, thanks for the reply, but it appears that the 8.3 DOS-like convention
fixed it for me.  I'm using uppercase anyway, so case shouldn't be a concern.

The reasons I am using QOpenSys (as I vaguely recall from decisions I made
several months ago):
 - The long file name wouldn't work in QDLS
 - I thought QOpenSys was required/preferred for stream files

The rationale for using a long file name is to be able to use a <UserID *cat
Date *cat Time> formatted name, mostly to ensure that there are no duplicate
file names, but also to provide a name that provides a sequence so that when
multiple files are presented in the sequence they were created.

If I am forced to use the 8.3 DOS-like convention, I will need to check to see
if the file already exists in QOpenSys (or QDLS, if I need to change to using
that).  How does one go about doing that?

Also, someone please shoot down my second reason (using QOpenSys was
required/preferred for stream files) if it's not valid.

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company
248-362-4400  Ext. 4952

-------------------------- Original Message --------------------------
Win95 will not work with a case sensitive file system such as QOopenSys.
Win98/NT will.  Don't use QOopenSys if you have to use old OS's.

Christopher K. Bipes    mailto:ChrisB@Cross-Check.com
Sr. Programmer/Analyst  mailto:Chris_Bipes@Yahoo.com
CrossCheck, Inc.        http://www.cross-check.com
6119 State Farm Drive   Phone: 707 586-0551 x 1102
Rohnert Park CA  94928  Fax: 707 586-1884

If consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, only geniuses work here.
Karen Herbelin - Readers Digest 3/2000

-----Original Message-----
From: D.BALE@handleman.com [mailto:D.BALE@handleman.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2000 11:39 AM
To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
Subject: QOpenSys name rules


Are the object name rules for QOpenSys different for V3R2, V3R7, and V4R*?  I
have a working application that used CPYTOSTMF to copy a file to QOpenSys with
a target file name like BALED20001121142700.TXT .  The command executes
correctly, and the file shows up in Windows Explorer with this name, but when
I try to do *anything* with the file in Windows95 - copy it, move it, delete
it - I get a message box declaring that the file cannot be found.  From an
AS/400 command line, I used WRKLNK to rename that object to BALED2.TXT and
that fixed the problem.  I imagine that the culprit was an object name that
did not conform to a valid 8.3 DOS-like name.

I am 99% certain I did not have this restriction in a previous shop, although
I am uncertain as to whether I had access to a V3R2 box to test it on (that
shop had 25+ AS/400s at various OS levels).  The other difference that I can
think of is that I was using WindowsNT 4.? as my Client Access workstation at
the previous shop.

Is it OS/400 version differences?
Is it Win95 vs. WinNT differences?
PTFs?
Service Packs?

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company
248-362-4400  Ext. 4952
+---
| This is the Midrange System Mailing List!
| To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
| To subscribe to this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-SUB@midrange.com.
| To unsubscribe from this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
| Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator: david@midrange.com
+---

This thread ...


Follow On AppleNews
Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2019 by midrange.com and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact [javascript protected email address].