  • Subject: RE: programmer productivity.
  • From: Jim Langston <jimlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:42:31 -0800

A programmers productivity has to be looked at in light of a number
of factors.  Such as, is the programmer working on something that
no one else has ever been able to do before?  Is it just a maintenance
task that should take but 5 minutes?  Are they implementing new
technologies?  Could another programmer do it in half the time?

A non programmer could not state how long any programming task should
take.  If I'm working on new technologies that no one has implemented
before and have to do a lot of research, it may take me 3 days to write
3 lines of code.  On the other hand, if my boss wants a modification to
an aging program, I have that puppy so well coded I can make massive
changes in a matter of minutes.

If my boss wants me to make a change to some ancient S/36 program, it's
going to take a while unless it's a very simple change.  If my boss wants
a change made to a program already running in RPG III or IV, a few minutes.

None of these can really be measured by metrics.  I had one job writing
programs where I was doing stuff no other programmers could figure out,
including my boss, also a programmer.  Some of that stuff took me time
for all the research and testing.  One thing in particular wound up to
be about 10 lines of code that took me a week or two to code.  But the
boss was impressed, since no one else could do it at all.

An IS manager can know how productive a programmer is if he knows how to
program, or has worked with programmers for a long time.  An accountant
hasn't got a clue nor a MOVEL's chance in an RPG IV of ever being able
to figure it out.

Regards,

Jim Langston