  • Subject: Re: File cross-reference for Query/400
  • From: AIV <aiv@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:04:13 +0100

Hi, just about three weeks ago I posted a very similar question.
I had been doing some research and thought QQQQRY API could help me, but could
not find the way to "read the Query Definition Template" (from then on, the rest
would be easy...), but got some answers that clearly showed that what I wanted

                         "CAN'T BE DONE... "

I then contacted some one in Rochester, and the answer I got was the same: Can't
be done.

Two people from this same list answered with two different alternatives:
- one, do a DMPOBJ of the *QRYDFN, then copy its spool file to a physical file,
then process it with a (RPG) program. Template format should become quite easy
decipher using the QDT from QQQQRY API as a guide. Not too good if you got, as I
did, quite a large number of queries to process...
- second, I was redirected as follows:
        "Go to www.as400network.com.  Search for article by Gary Guthrie in
News/400.
          March 1997, page 117 entitled "Determining Query Specifications".
This

          describes an MI program to retrieve the query file information.  You
can
          download the code.  I believe you must be a member to access the the
          article and code.

   I am not a MI expert, but looked for it anyway, and it is true you need to be
a "Proffesional member" to even read the article, and to access its source code,
and I could not afford the cost of it for just this one case...

So, unhappily enough, I ended up with no acceptable solution...
If you happen to be more lucky than I was, I'd appreciate you input.
Best regards, Antonio

--
Antonio Fernandez-Vicenti
aiv@ctv.es