• Subject: RE: programmer productivity.
  • From: "Sims, Ken" <KSIMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 19:25:34 -0500

Hi Mike -

>A long, long time ago in a place far away the concept of elegance
>was a measure of an algorithms efficiency. It's the difference
>between a massively powerful computer churning through the
>possibilities and not being able to beat the human mind in a game
>of chess.

That last statement is 3 1/2 years out of date.  In May 1997 IBM's Deep Blue
beat then world champion Grandmaster Garry Kasparov 3.5 - 2.5.  Kasparov won
only one game of the six.  Deep Blue won two games, and there were three
draws.

Ken
Southern Wine and Spirits of Nevada, Inc.
Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of
my employer or anyone in their right mind.

+---