  • Subject: Leased lines
  • From: "Steve Bireley" <sbireley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:48:07 -0500

An easy, reliable, and cost effective solution is to use the Internet an SSL
enabled, web-based TN5250 display and printer sessions. Get a DSL line from
an Internet Serice provider for $100 per month at the AS/400 site in Reno
and have the folks in Hawaii use the Internet to access it.  The amount of
data getting transferred over a TN5250 session is very small so response
over the internet is very snappy and works very well.  All of the data will
is secured using the Secure Sockets Layer Protocol, the Internet standard
for data stream security, authentication, and message integrity.

If you do not have SSL on the AS/400 or do not want to take the time to set
up a web to host product, you can get a Renex eZGate appliance that provides
everything in a 1U high rackmount box including; a web-based user manager,
an SSL enabled web-based emulator, an SSL enabled desktop emulator, SSL
enabled FTP client, web server, FTP server, SSL proxy server, and  a
concurrent license manager so you only pay for the simultaneously connected
users.  It comes preconfigured with your network settings so it is turn-key.
All of the components are available separately as shrink wrap software also.

I can setup a custom demo for anyone interested in see how well and Internet
based solution works for delivering the emulator to the browser then
connecting directly to your AS/400.  The only information we need is the IP
address of the AS/400.  It works even if the user is behind a firewall with
the AS/400.

If anyone would like more information about using the Internet for secure
AS/400 access, please send private email to mailto:sbireley@renex.com.

Good Luck!

Steve Bireley
VP Engineering