Using the example:

For X = A by B to C

A and B can be any positive or negative number
C must be any number greater than A

Which presents a problem with counting backwards.  You can try various
values with the code below.  There's a hard-coded internal limit of 25 in
the source.  Also note that everyone's favorite OpCode in a loop works too
and one last note, it doesn't prompt correctly. Free-form works and you can
obviously split the line but it won't prompt correctly, in fact, if you
prompt the second line SEU gets a little confused but you can beat it into
submission with a F13 syntax check.

             CMD        PROMPT('JUNK')

             PARM       KWD(A) TYPE(*DEC) LEN(3 0) +
                          PROMPT('initial value')

             PARM       KWD(B) TYPE(*DEC) LEN(3 0) PROMPT('for +
                          by value')

             PARM       KWD(C) TYPE(*DEC) LEN(3 0) PROMPT('for +
                          to value')

d forVar              s              3p 0
counting variable
d A                    s              3p 0
initialize counter
d B                    s              3p 0
increment
d C                    s              3p 0
limit
d safeTValve      s              3p 0 inz(0)
endless loop stopper
c     *entry        plist
c                   parm                    A
c                   parm                    B
c                   parm                    C
C                   for       forVar = A by B
test this
C                                      to C
c                   eval      safeTValve=safeTValve+1
loop stopper++
c                   if        safeTValve>25
check stopper
c                   leave
our favorite opcode
c                   endif