  • Subject: Re: TRYING undestanding new AS Iserv
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 01:43:38 EDT

from Al Mac

Batch = Some job running in background like off of JOBQ without any direct
interaction with a user screen whether Green Screen or GUI

Interactive = User Talking to 400 via Green Screen
By definition, you cannot have Interactive on GUI unless it is emulating
Green Screen 5250

Strange new terminology like "Batch Immediate" = User Talking to 400 via GUI
point & click, that SEEMS to the end user JUST LIKE Green Screen Interactive
except that in Green Screen the programmer has set up a controlled flow of
choices of actions for the player, while on PC, the user can do any number of
unpredictable actions that the software needs to be able to cope with, like
what should happen if user clicks little X to close Win application, or tries
to cut & paste some data INTO 400?

There are a number of products that put a GUI face on traditional green
screen interactive apps, such as LANSA for the WEB, Seagull ... so that you
had a green screen interactive program, and now the GUI user, such as a
standard browser, does everything that used to be done at the Green Screen,
except using GUI tools & the language is Java or RPG IV for CGI, or HTML or
VB - whatever GUI language you want it in ... same old Green Screen software
except the source code has gone through a conversion process & is now in GUI
language with GUI features added.  Same software can run on Green Screen
(original source) or GUI (converted source with some enhancements).  If you
upgrade the original source & run it through the converter again, you can
keep the enhancements from the earlier time around, so as to minimize
duplication of effort.

Sometimes this process is called screen scraping, but the end result is that
you have software that is exactly like what the green screen used to do,
except it handles all that weird stuff GUI users like to do, and it is
totally in GUI language, and IBM does not call it interactive any more, but
one of those weird names like "Batch Immediate."  I am not an expert on any
of this so you should check with the outfits that do the conversions.

LANSA http:///www.lansa.com
Seagull's JWalk http://www.seagull.com
Trade Paq http://wwwtradepaq.com

Several other posts indicated that the AS/400 still thinks this stuff is
interactive & someone suggested OS/2 but didn't someone have an emergency in
an OS upgrade such that OS/2 going away?

Alister William Macintyre
Computer Data Janitor etc. of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 on 400 model 170 OS4 V4R3
(forerunner to IBM e-Server i-Series 400)  @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central
Industries of Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and
electrical sub-assemblies