  • Subject: RE: TRYING undestanding new AS Iserv
  • From: "Pantzopoulos, Mike" <mikepantzopoulos@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 02:26:48 -0400

Title: RE: TRYING undestanding new AS Iserv

We have just done this to our General Insurance package. We have layered both the display and data base functions by replacing the device dependant verbs (EXFMT,READ, CHAIN etc.) with functions which perform the requested operation and return buffers, or accept buffers. In fact the request code to the DB interface is the RPG verb! The beauty of this approach is that it doesn't matter where the data comes from, it will be processed by a single set of business rules.

(I recently heard a story of one of our customers who hired the Gen-X websters to build a web quotation. They did it. The web quote was $129.88. When the client accepted the quote, the back-end AS400 invoiced the client for $143!  The AS400 was the correct price (of course!).Layering enables our debugged code of 15 years to not be re-written. For the display function we actually invoke an RPG program either on the same AS400 or another AS400 by using MQ Series to manage the transportation. We can also use MQ Series to transport the same buffers to an NT and we currently are at the prototype stage with a Visual Studio solution for the presentation layer to a Browser. We have also recently developed a way of creating XML structures to form  the screen buffers. It's quite neat and the XML syntax/structure can be used by both the browser and the 5250 display program.

I am now writing a tool to automatically layer our software based on rules established with prototypes.

We have the benefit of having written our system according to strict programming standards. I would hate to try to do this sort of work on some of the spaghetti I've seen in the RPG world. Having strict programming standards allows us to write a tool to convert the programs. Otherwise one is faced with the need to go into hand-to-hand combat.

The beauty of the layering is that the calling program doesn't care where the buffer comes from, be it EDI, on-line, browser interface, card input(!). By the same token, it doesn't care where the data record comes from. It could be the DB on the same AS400, a DB2 db on another AS400, or on an Oracle db on some other box. It's the ultimate in plug and play. This is the only way to keep up with the rapid development of PC tools. Although I must say Interpretive Basic has come a long way in the past 20 years going by how some of the scripting processing works in the web world. We used MQ because its supported on about 35 different platforms and it works a treat. The Red book was all I needed to get the thing going.

The only way to keep up is to be flexible. The only way to be flexible is to hide the specifics in APIs. Yeah sure there's a bit more overhead, but cpu cycles are cheaper than human cycles.