I see a $30,000 hardware expense.  What does the rest of the group think?

I agree with Larry that the tapes will probably be fine, so the "original
poster" CAN unload his system, reconfigure, and reload reliably without
additional expense (except for the cost of the new 8 gb disk drives).

I am a capacity and performance guy and I am "interested" in this track.  I
suspect that the existing disk IOP will be overloaded by running two RAID
sets - an 8-arm RAID set composed of 4gb drives and a 7-arm RAID set
composed of 8 gb drives.  I suspect that the second rack offers flexibility
that will be valuable to the "original poster".  If the company grows more
in the future, they will either have to add the second tower or replace the
whole system at that time.  It makes some sense to delay the new-tower
purchase until it is required and it also makes some sense to buy now and
get the benefits now.

Richard Jackson
mailto:richardjackson@richardjackson.net
http://www.richardjacksonltd.com